1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usbport on motherboard

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by neilcolt, Jul 9, 2011.

1. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Hi ,I have recently just changed the motherboard on my PC and discovered an ongoing problem.
    The PC has two USB ports on the front of the PC.These both work if i plug in a 8gig usb stick,but if i try and plug in a external drive it wont recognise it.Any ideas?????
    The usb ports are connected to the motherboard correctly as with small usb drives they work.
    Motherboard is a AliveXfire-eSATA2 (asrock)part no-90-MXG7A0-A0UAYZ.
    rgds
    NeilC

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

most boards have that problem but my new socket 775 board provides 3x the power to the front usb ports compared to standard front usb ports. it works as tried it out recently with a customer's laptop drive in an enclosure using the front usb ports that i couldn't do before without external power.

3. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Thanks DDP i think i will have to live with this as my other mboard did the same thing.Its not a huge snag ,just i like to try and sort problems out on the PCs if the fixs are available.Always off this site the memebers are always very helpful indeed.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem.