1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

use Nero to burn, but dirve will on.y recognize dvd's

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by dprincess, Aug 9, 2006.

1. dprincess

dprincess Member

have the new LG GSA 4166B multi-drive, recommended, having a problem with the drive will recognize any dvd, but will only recognize Memorex CD's, (the silver on silver)

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi dprincess
    So you're able to burn but once burned the drive doesn't recognize the disc?
    Just need a bit more detail on what kind of problem(s) you are having.

3. dprincess

dprincess Member

binkie7
    thank you for the prompt reply, but is a "lightscribe" drive and once I did the lightscribe burn on a dvd, it has stopped reconizing cd's. Supposedly is a "multi-drive" is a new (3 month old) LG GSA 4166B

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

dprincess,
    You may not have the Nero set appropriately! I'm not sure which version you have, but at the top it gives you the option to select DVD, CD, or CD/DVD. If you have it set to DVD then it may not recognize the CD. Let me know if that is the problem. If it is not then do as binkie7 asked and give a little more detail.

Thanks

5. binkie7

Ok so is it CD's or DVD's that it doesn't recognize?

Is it just the ones you burned or is it any - like an original cd/dvd?

Are you just trying to play them back in the pc?
    Can you still burn dvd's/cd's?

The latest firmware for your drive is 1.02
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2209
    You can check Nero ToolKit>InfoTool>drive tab for your version #.

6. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

This is where syxguns was talking about:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  7. dprincess

dprincess Member

binkie7

my firmware version is 1.01, the download of the update says it can't connect to the database.
    my nero version is 6.3.1.2, the drive will recognize and play any dvd, but, it will not recognize 98% of the blank cd media that I have, it only recognizes pressed cd's and these blanks-branded Maxell, Moser Baer 97m17s06f, the ones I'm having surprising troouble with,also branded Maxell, Taiyo Yuden, MIJ, 97m24s01f.

syxguns

my version of nero doesn't apear to have that screen, using either the "smart start" or "Nero oem", they both have you choose 'with what & what to do', don't know if that makes any sense?

8. dprincess

dprincess Member

to all

I will scan several of these T.Y. disks and mark the ones that show to be bad, might be just picked the wrong spool from the rack. (kinda an after-thought after having scanned one and it showed to be bad from start to end), also is there any thing/trick I need to know on how to download the firmware update?
    hopefully have given a little better idea of whats wrong,lol ;D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

dprincess-
    The firmware update is just a file that downloads to your device internal ROM unit. Basically it is like updating your BIOS. Your BIOS and all drives are run from Read Only Memory. In many cases the updates to ROM are worth it.

10. dprincess

dprincess Member

syxguns

that's what's got me confused, I've updared "bios" on the other computer, but when I click the link for the firmware up-date, it askes to (save file now, open with explorer, download later), it doesn't do any thing other than that, and if I try to 'save now' and open, get the same message as if I click 'open with explorer'. (cannont connect to database)

11. dprincess

dprincess Member

to top it off, the scan that I did with nero on the other computer shows everything to be bad, even pressed cd's, game cd's, everything, so like I can really trust that one!! :S

12. binkie7

Hi dprincess
    Here's another link for the firmware from LG's site:
    http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

It will probably just be a zip file - just open the .exe and run it. Takes less than a few minutes. Have no blanks are in the drive, power stays on and no other programs running.

When you did the lighscribe on the disc that was after your had already burned files onto the disc right?

Update Nero to this version - 6.6.0.18. Here's some links:
    Package 1
    http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/Nero-6.6.0.18_no_yt.exe

Package 2 (recode & vision)
    http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/NVE-3.1.0.21_no_yt.exe

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@dprincess

I have the external version of yours. It's a very good burner. Syxguns may be right about Nero being set to CD/DVD. If you have the start smart window open, at the very top in the position of a capstone (middle) there is an option box to set Nero to CD, DVD, or DVD/CD make sure the third option is selected. That way it will recognize DVDs and CDs. You can also set your burner to book-type DVDs to DVD-ROMs if you're using +R Discs.

14. dprincess

dprincess Member

HELP !!!

1. the links, even direct pull over net, only download a .htm file of 161kb, from both firmware page and LG, both ending in an access error.
    2. I started following the instructions from the LG site, chang the RW drive to master on the secondary ide, and leave the ROM drive disconnected.
    worst of all-3. now the computer doesn't want to boot, get no video signal, and can't tell if it's trying to boot from my windows install disk
    what the hell did I do? am i *%$&ed? oohh dear!!!!

thought mabey if I could register the drive with LG the ".htm" thing would turn into letting me download the .zip file, but their registration page doesn't even have the drive in the database!!!!

if anybody else would like to give it a try, I'd be glad to give you the S/N of the drive.

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@dprincess

If you are having trouble downloading the firmware, I have downloaded it; and if you PM your email addy, I'll send it to you.

16. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Did you change the jumper on the burner when you installed it as a master on the secondary?

17. Nero63

Nero63 Guest

@ dolphin 2

yes, I switched the jumpers from slave to master (dvdrw), and master to slave (dvd rom), the cable has slave & master marked, still same result. am trying it now on cable select, blew the case out REAL well, hoping.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2006
  18. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Do you get the POST beeps?

19. Nero63

Nero63 Guest

oops, forgot to use my sign in, changing

20. binkie7

@Nero63
    Identity crisis :0)