1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used the DivX AVI to DVD guide to the letter ..... no audio

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RedzRum, Dec 11, 2003.

1. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

Hello all, I have finally been able to get some time and materials to give this project a go and have run into a bit of a problem. I have d/l AVI DivX files that I want to burn onto a DVD R- and then play on my home machine. I followed the afterdawn guide TO THE LETTER and ended up with 2 different DVD R- media that have GREAT picture ... and absolutly no sound.

I used TMPGEnc to seperate the AVI into a mp2 and m2v file. Then tried using the TMPG DVD author program and the IFO Edit program and got the same result twice. EXCELLENT video .... no sound.

As an experiment I created a VCD of the AVI with Nero .... sound and video with perfect match. I also tried to play the seperate mp2 and m2v files with various players and got the same excellent video from the m2v file but no audio from the mp2.

I am thus left to conclude that something went wrong with the TMPGEnc operation. I'll give it a second try (maybe I did not follow the directions EXACTLY ... but I'm pretty sure I did) but would appreciate if you all could give me some pointers on what to else to try.

BTW, I was thinking perhaps of not seperating the audio and video as stated in the guide "First, remember to select the checkbox that says Output video and audio as individual elementary streams". Granted I have no idea what that will do, but I figured to give it a shot.

Thx in advance for any and all help.

Redz

2. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

Well did a quick run of not seperating the audio and video and ended up with the same thing. Good video ... no sound.

So, for some reason TMPGEnc is not pulling the audio ... or not writing it correctly ... or something. I checked all the files with AVI codec .... they all say the audio is there in Mpeg 1 Audio Layer 1 .... their is alot of something taking up space .... just no sound.

/sigh

3. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

Okay, made some more progress. I used Virtuldub to make a .wav for the audio from the original AVI source. Then I ran a FAST 2 minute run with TMPGEnc using the .wav as the audio source and the AVI as the video source. Did it twice with one run as seperate audio and video (m2v and mp2) and then as a single mpeg. All 3 files work so far with perfect sync of audio. I'm gonna make a full quality run tonight while I am at work and set it up to burn in the AM. Let you all know how it goes.

Redz

4. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

Well it worked ...... sort of.

I have audio, but its off by 0.5 seconds. Remains that way throughout the 1 hour show.

Kinda at a loss here guys.

HELP ANYONE?!?!?!?

5. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

Allrighty then,

So I open virtualdub again to retry from the begining and make a copy of the error it gives me when I open my source AVI:

"VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR Audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrtie the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatability. This may introduce up to 7580ms of skew fromt he video stream. If this unaccetable decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed wav file and recompress with a constant bit rate encoder (bitrate: 159.2 +- 21.7kbps)."

I have since made numberous attempts to reencode the AVI using the original video source, origianl audio source, and the wav audio. Each successful attempt ends up with the same audio skew with the audio about 500ms before the video. ANY attempt to use the audio skew correction in virtuldub LOCKS when exicuted to save the new AVI (despite various settings and sources).

Here is some info via AVIcodec ... maybe it will help someone help me what is going on.

Original AVI file:

File : 699 MB (699 MB), duration: 1:30:49, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 49 %

Video : 596 MB, 918 Kbps, 23.975 fps, 512*384 (4:3), DIV3 = DivX v3 ;-) MPEG-4 (Low-Motion), Supported

Audio : 103 MB, 159 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

WAV file taken from the original AVI using VirtualDub

File : 103 MB (103 MB), duration: 0:00:00, type: DSH, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 72 %

Audio : 103 MB, 159 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = Mpeg-1 audio Layer 3 (MP3), Supported

I'm going to try and find a good guide on virtualdub tonight at work but I could REALLY USE SOME HELP HERE!!!!!!!

Thx

6. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

OK,

So are you trying to convert and AVI that you downloaded or got from a friend into DVD format?

At one point you say: "I have since made numberous attempts to reencode the AVI using the original video source, origianl audio source, and the wav audio."

This makes me think that you have the original DVD and are making an AVI out of it before trying to convert it to DVD format, which would not be a good way to go abuot the process. The only other thing I can think of is that you may be doing this from a capture card.

What is the "original video source, origianl audio source" that you are working with and where did you get it.

For now I will assume that you downloaded an AVI file from the web, in which case the improper VBR code is VERY common, but can be difficult to resolve.

However, saving the audio to a WAV file via Virtualdub is definitely the right first step. But after that, it gets a little more difficult with audio. I will suggest something, but it really depends on whether your audio stream is 0.5 secs ahead or behind the video.

If the stream is ahead of the video, you simply have to delay the audio for about 1/2 sec when you are authoring the DVD. This can be trial and error, as it probably isn't exactly 0.5 secs off.

The only authoring program that I know of that will allow you to enter an audio delay is IFOedit. There is a good guide on how to use this authoring program over at www.dvdrhelp.com.

If the audio is behind the video, I am not sure, as I have thankfully never had this problem. However, I am sure that dvdrhelp will have some guides on how to remedy this situation (probably with a tool called Cool Edit).

Good luck!

7. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

The "original source" is a [edit: dumb ass file]. The audio in THAT file is right on; however I get NO audio when I try to make a mp2 file out of the "orignal" source and the audio is ahead of the video by ABOUT 500ms if I try to use the wav file I made using VirtualDub. The problem I am having is that every time I try to use the audio skew adjust, VitualDub FREEZES almost instantly leaving me with a 350K file. I don't understand why VirtualDub is freezing when I try to use the audio skew option with the wave file. I will try IFOedit and see if that can solve my problem.

ANYBODY ELSE????? PLEASE?!?!?!?!?_

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2004
  8. koola

koola Guest

That sucks RedzRum, have a look at my guide and see if it helps.

Make sure you have TMPGEnc Plus as this lets you encode unlimited mpeg., which you need to make a DVD.

Good luck :D

9. clegghorn

clegghorn Member

Redz. I've got EXACTLY the same problem as you. Cool visuals but no audio.

If I sort it out then I'll let you know

Clegghorn

Div X (AVI) - DVD

10. jacawah

jacawah Guest

Hi,
    I was browsing this forum looking for a solution to a different xvid tmpg conversion problem I was having when I cam across this thread. To get audio you might try this:

Under options go to Enviromental Settings
    Select the VFAPI plug-in tab
    Change the following priorities -
    Directshow multimedia reader - 3
    AVI2(opemDML)file reader - 1
    BMP/PPM/TGA/JPG file reader - -2
    TMPGenc Project File Reader - -2
    All Others - 0

This should give you audio when converting xvid using tmpgenc, although I don't know the specifics of how or why - I came across this solution on another forum some time ago.

Hopefully this helps.

11. Pistol1

Pistol1 Member

You are the man...this file should be in the FAQ because I have been reading for days and this total fixed my problem...thanks a million

12. mahruf

mahruf Member

If your AVI file has no problems but, when opened in V-DUB, it reports audio/video skew, do the following before you open AVI in V-DUB:

Click 'Options', Preferences, and finally 'AVI'
    Check the Box 'Do not repaire.........'
    Open your AVI file now. There should be no audio/video sync problems.

I have successfully tried this method on a downloaded AVI.

Mahruf

13. koola

koola Guest

Hi all,

After lots of people asking me how to convert AVI files (Xvid, DivX) into a DVD, the process is as follows:

1. Use the MainConcept Mpeg Encoder to convert the file into a DVD compliant MPEG file. Make sure you have at least 4~5 GB free!

2. Once your file is DVD compliant, TMPGEnc DVD Author will now except the file. Convert the file into the vob files adding menus etc as you see fit.

3. Burn using Nero etc. Make sure you use file mode with Nero and that you put all the vob files into the VIDEO_TS folder.

4. Done

Hope this helps people :)