1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used x3 bios to lock HD. Now mobo is fried and I have 500gb brick (Solved)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Kafluke, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

I have a fried xbox 1.6 motherboard that I locked a 500 Hitachi HD to using X3 bios. My xbox board fragged and now I can't use that 500gb HD. I can see it in my PC bios but I can't format it or do anything with it.

HELP!

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

3. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Thanks for the reply. I've been fussing with this thing all day. (I love messing with xbox projects) If I can't get this HD unlocked then this will be the first time that I've ran into a wall when it comes to xbox's and repairs/mods and junk.

atapwd is useless to me. I keep getting now ata devices detected. I was however able to retrieve the key. Here's how

I booted into UnleashX on a working xbox and hot swapped. I went into the hd settings and it showed me the key. It won't unlock it though.

So now I have this huge hex key and I don't know what program to use to unlock it. I found this DOS based HD Utility called hdat2 that see's the drive and can even give me the level of security. I can see that the drive is locked using this DOS app but it only allows me to type in passwords (I've tried them all) which it converts to HEX. It won't let me type in HEX values for the password though. DOH! So close and yet so far away!

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

that key you saw is the one contained in the working xbox eeprom.. it isn't the one from the locked drive... which will remain locked even if you hotswap it.

Now how brave/good are you with a soldering iron? .. you can swap the eeproms on the motherboards... now that takes some guts with softmods.. hehehehehe

5. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

I've done my share of micro soldering but is that the only way? I don't want to have to swap eeproms. There has to be another way.

6. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Wow, nevermind! I just saw a pic of the eeprom chip. That won't be so hard to desolder at all. I'll give it a go and report back.

7. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

I'm back in business! I swapped the eeprom for the one that the hard drive was locked to from the bad mobo, VoilĂ !

Thanks for the help!