1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used xbox error 16

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by waveman56, Oct 14, 2009.

1. waveman56

waveman56 Member

I picked up a used xbox with error 16 for $5. I'm trying to restore it to stock so I can softmod it like my other boxes. It's a ver 1 with 4034 kernal (printed on hard drive). I'v hot swapped it and tried xboxhd, ndure 3.1 with slayers 2.6 system files and ended up with error 21. So then I used xboxhd, went into xbrowser and copied all of slayers c & e directories right over to my box, but got an error 16 again. I guess I need a lower dash than slayers 5960? Any ideas?

2. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

slayers disc (c and e) do not work with a softmod. i actually quote the slayer disc warning, "this will kill your softmod". so those files cannot be used for a softmod.

you can use a ready download of softmodded c and e drive. download the right version (v1.0-1.2 or v1.3-1.4 or v1.6). so look which version you have and download the right softmod set.

3. waveman56

waveman56 Member

Ahh slayers disc's system isn't stock files. It's altered for modchpped xboxes? If that's the case I'll check xbins for some stock files (v1.1). Could you clarify on the slayers disc though (because I'm working with what should be a stock xbox not softmoded, that will come later on down the line.

4. waveman56

waveman56 Member

I should clarify I mean everything under Slayers\SYSTEM\ALL was the files I transfered to my used xbox

5. waveman56

waveman56 Member

Wouldn't my xbhdm & ndure backup directory on E be stock files? I'll try them

6. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

i see what you are trying to accomplish

my suggestion would be to download a fresh 5960 dashboard (it is in the xbox download section on this site), and use that as your c drive. you can leave e empty, just make an empty udata and tdata. or you can put your own e drive in it, doesn't matter. it is the c drive that you need.

but then, why not immediately inject your drive with softmodded files (also on this forum somewhere). but a fresh ms dash can be downloaded from this site.

slayer disc is for a modchip xbox, the files should also work for a non modchip xbox. then it should just boot into the ms dashboard.

7. waveman56

waveman56 Member

>>slayer disc is for a modchip xbox, the files should also work for a
    >>non modchip xbox. then it should just boot into the ms dashboard.

Yeah I thought they would work too, but I'll try fresh 5960 dash and see if I have any better luck. At this point I'd just be happy to get it to boot, the softmodding I can do later, it's easy enough. Thanks Dennisv9, I appreciate the help