1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User opinions of software

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by abnrgr_2, Jul 28, 2004.

1. abnrgr_2

abnrgr_2 Member

I have been reading and reading not only here but on several different sites. My question is what is the best software to use for DVD backups? I have seen opinions on different products, and frankly, it all depends on which site you are on what is preferable. I have heard good things about DVDXCopy in both the platinum and express editions, CloneDVD, DVD cloner II, etc...Currently I have been using DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor and they have worked great on a few DVDs I backed up. BUT, I have ran into a few snags that have left me with errors and coasters. Now, before anyone goes and says "read", well, I have been. It's easy to say read, it's harder to answer something with any value. I would really appreciate concise answers that could help in choosing a program. I have posted in the newbie section on my errores that I have received but have not really had then answered. I am not looking for a hand-out, but information that I can use and eventually pass on as I get more experienced in this field. Thanks

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I use Nero 6 for all my backups, but not neccesarily the same application.
    Most of the time I will use shrink to decrypt and compress then let it use Nero to burn the files.
    If shrink hits a problem (which is very rare) I use Dvd decrypter and then Nero Recode 2.
    If the movie is small enough and doesn't need compressing then I will just use Copy Disc 'on-the-fly' but with Any Dvd running in the system tray to remove the copy protection.
    I have Clone Dvd and Clone Dvd 2 but haven't found a reason to use them yet.
    I would like to try ReBuilder and Cinema Craft Encoder but the long drawn out process puts me off.

3. michelle9

michelle9 Member

You're never going to find the perfect program for backing up dvds, it's really a matter of personal preference. If you've been reading the forums then you have a basic idea of the top contenders so to speak, just choose one. Personally I'm happier with using dvd decrypter and dvdclone together for the mid-length movies because it takes 1/2 the time that shrink does, but of course that's just my personal opinion, and then cce/rebuilder for the longer movies though that takes a bit of time and effort to get working. It's sort of like New Years Eve parties, everyone is so worried that there's a better party somewhere else where people are having more fun at, that they fail to enjoy what they do have right there. Just buy a good program and enjoy using it!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The problem with answering that is that different people have different opinions about what the important features are. I'll give you my opinion, but keep in mind that for me quality trumps speed and price, so if you don't feel that way you may not agree. I use DVD-RB because it can use CCE Basic to re-encode (instead of just altering the video stream like most programs), and I don't know of any other program that can beat CCE for quality. On the other hand it's not a particularly fast method, and it can be a pain to set up. Another problem with Rebuilder right now is that it's still in beta and some movies have to be pre-processed with other programs before it can handle them. Finally, it doesn't do things like remove extras or audio/subtitle streams, so if you want to do that you need to use another program.

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

abnrgr_2,

I think one of your problems is ... Your using too many programs and processes. Get use to one process, and when you've got that down, if you want try another.

I took a look at your other posts. You mentioned you've tried Shrink and Decrypter, but have gotten some errors or coasters. Can you explain this a bit more? And Vurbal is right, (IMO) nothing beats Rebuilder w/ CCE Basic ... unless your using dual layer discs with no compression. But like Vurbal said, it takes along time(for me a long movie can take around 3 hours).

So can you give us more info?
    1) System specs? I saw your running XP Home w/ NTFS. So processor, RAM, HD, free HD space, # of optical drives and models.
    2) What type of media are you using?
    3) Which combinations of programs are you using and what are your steps?

6. lvanhorn

lvanhorn Member

DVD Santa sucks. I bought it and it wouldn't recognize any of the 3 brand new DVDs I tried to burn onto. SO I e-mailed tech support (no answer). I e-mailed them again, and they had my download their updated version. Still didn't work--same problem. I have now e-mailed them FIVE times since then asking, then demanding my money back. Still no repsonse. I wouldn't recomend this program to my a-hole.

7. flip218

lvanhorn,

Nice little rant... but what program are you talking about?

8. abnrgr_2

abnrgr_2 Member

Thanks for replying,

Flip 218 here are some of the specs you were asking for:
    -Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
    -512 RAM
    -60 GB HD with 338 GB of freespace (I have some ISO images still on it)
    -one optical drive (Matshita DVD RAM UJ-811 H100)
    -Toshiba P15-S479 laptop w/media center edition
    -I am using Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-R

Steps I've been taking have been per the guides I've read:
    -I first check it with DVD Decryptor to see whether it is 1 or 2 layers and the size of the disc.
    -If 2 layers, i go to DVD Shrink and run open disc.
    -Once done, i check off all foreign subtitles and stuff I don't need.
    -I check the preferences and check automatically open Video_TS subfolders/run analysis and back-up
    -on output files, remove macrovision/P-UOPs/layer break/split VOB files
    -In file I/O, enable overlapped I/O/check RPC2 drive region

Once complete with checking these preferences I run back-up. Once in a while I will get an I/O error on the encoding section, (Happened last night 50% thru a movie)

If everything has gone well. I will then burn with DVD Decryptor.
    -Settings are as follows;
    I/O- interface is SPTI and ignore read errors
    -registry-shell extensions are autoplay and DVD
    CSS-cracking method is I/O Key Exchange-> Brute force and detect matering errors
    -ISO read Mode- create MDS files/remove IFO/BUP RC protection/remove IFO/BUP RCE protection
    -IFO Mode-copy IFO files/remove RC and RCE protection/patch M2V timecode and under create add. files I have stream information checked
    -File mode- Remove IFO/BUP and RCE protection and patch M2V timecode
    -General- remove macrovision

Once all done I write the ISO image to disc, at times that is where i get my error messages.

I've checked under my properties for the DVD drive and they are set at DMA and not PIO.

I know it's long but I wanted to walk you through what i am doing. Can you suggest something or tell me if I am doing something wrong? Thanks

9. flip218

First uncheck overlapping. And check box to make it region free.

Also when burning with Decrypter, make sure you uncheck the box to verify.

Can you check your file system? Open "my computer", right click your local disk and choose properties. Is it FAT32 or NTFS?

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

I prefer to do a fully Manual Method of Backing up DVD"s cuz it allows me to get much more Video on a DVD with exelent Quality and it lets me add my own Personal creative touch....

I usually Rip the DVD with the audio track i want to keep...Then i manually rip the Menu"s off the DVD and any other features i want..I then use CCE SP 2.67 with AVISynth to encode the File useing anywere from 1 to 3 Passes and then I rebuild the DVD useing the Menu"s and features off of the original DVD useing a Good DVD Authoring program Like DVDLab....It takes about 2-3 hours for the whole Process but I can get anywere from 1 to 4 Movies on a DVD depending on the Length of the Movies and the DVD Format I decide to use ......

11. abnrgr_2

abnrgr_2 Member

Flip 218, I went ahead and unchecked the I/O overlapping. But what does that do actually? With the region free, i match whatever the region is with the original, because I've seen on test burns that if they do not match I get a copyright error. And I have checked and I am running NTFS. I tried something new lat night, i ripped the movie with Decryptor then used Shrink to compressa and make an ISO which burned flawlessly. Maybe this is a fluke or is it a viable way of going about the process instead of just making a straight ISO?

12. flip218

Not really sure, but I've seen some have error when it's checked. Same with "verify" in decrypter, make sure that's unchecked.

Sometimes it prompts me to verify which region the original dvd is, you have to click the right region.

This was no fluke. Most of the time Shrink will break any css encryptions, for the one that it can't ... use DVD Decrypter first, then run it through Shrink. If you noticed it does make the process a little bit longer (10-15min longer).

13. abnrgr_2

abnrgr_2 Member

Thsnks for your input, it helped a lot. I tried DVD X copy and it was not all the hype I've heard about. DVD Decryptor and Shrink 3.2 are working well, although I do take my time to run a test burn before an actual burn, but it's worth it rather than have a stack of coasters. As for an external or internal DVD burner, what brand/model would you suggest? I am burning off my laptop and may want to do the same from my PC.

14. lvanhorn

lvanhorn Member

flip218,
    DVD Santa is the program. And the e-mail score is now:
    e-mails--8, replies--0. Also, I apologize for all of the type-o's; apparently I can't think when I'm irate.

15. flip218

@abnrgr_2,

If possible, I would go for an internal burner. As far as which one ... really depends on how much you want to spend :)

@lvanhorn,

Sorry never used DVD Santa.

16. solo219

solo219 Guest

anydvd w/ either clonedvd2 or clone dvd 1