1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Username Limit of 10 Characters Is Awful

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by TomBrookl, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

The limitation of 10 characters to a username is one of the most unneccessary and awful characteristics that could be possibly be incorporated into any internet website.

Why does afterdawn do it, and when are they going to correct this simple but aggregious defect?

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

lol, couldn't get the "yn" to fit eh...that sucks.

3. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

right. lol. And the problem is I can't easily keep track of these kind of anomolys.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Just so you know.. it's egregious :lol

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you could of made your nick

TBrooklyn

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

If it was unlimited, people would make stupidly long names, if it was too short, people would be unhappy.

In my few years here this is the only time I've seen someone publicly complain about the limit on characters for usernames. I think 10 characters is a fair limit; besides, many more and you'd be throwing off the forum template :lol:

I think ZoSo's suggestion was pretty good, actually. Shame you didn't think of that earlier!

7. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

Thanks for pointing that out, varnull. I appreciate being corrected so I can do better in the future. Just as now, afterdawn has the opportunity to correct a deficiency in their website. Let's see how they handle it.

8. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

Hi Zo,
    I could make my nick a lot of things, but my internet name is TomBrooklyn, not TBrooklyn or TomBrklyn etc. If I had to remember a different name for every website I signed on to, imagine how difficult that would become.

9. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

This seems like a pretty petty thread, but just so you can hear it from admin themselves I'll leave it open. It's certainly not the end of the world and I doubt they will change the entire site just to accomodate one request when the rest of the site seems to not have major issues with the 10 character user name limit.

10. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Or if he created the name 7omb200k1yn, I think that would have been way cooler.

:eek:)

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Oh dear, shame you didn't pick an obscure standard password that would work across most sites; I have server password lists to remember for work that are a few pages long, and i have to somehow manage with whatever password limitations i have to work with, am sure you'll manage :p

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Most people don't use their full name as an online alias, Tom. And as I said, over a certain number of characters would not fit the forum template [as coded by the admins themselves].

A fair point, but I don't see the number of characters in my forum username somehow diminishing my self as a human being. To put it frankly, I think you are being needlessly picky. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, though; whether it will change things is another matter.

14. varnull

varnull Guest

I don't have a real name.. I only exist in virtual space.. I'm a test function.. My full name is...

array_key_exists($var, $base))&&($base[$var]===NULL

and is too long for this site (and really annoys the sites which do allow special characters and long strings)

Why not use TB1.. short and sweet

Thunderbirds are GO!

The special NULL value represents that a variable has no value. NULL is the only possible value of type NULL.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008
  15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

+1. To do such would be quite silly.

16. varnull

varnull Guest

Seems a little unfair as one poster on every thread is allowed a 13 character user name. (best Rolf impression) "can you tell who it is yet kids?"

17. mchalmers

mchalmers Member

It's that Mr. Advertisement fellow...

18. varnull

varnull Guest

That's the chappie :lol:

19. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Alright, 10 characters is bit short, considering the fact that we have more than 700,000 registered users (then again a-z + 0-9 accounts 36 characters if I counted correctly. 36^10 ... a big number :). Can't remember what the original reasoning behind the limit was, but I can tell you that if we ever decide to allow longer names, the limit wont go up very much, as it would -- as said above -- screw up the layout on several pages.

ROTFLMAO =)

20. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

dude this is not a fast food restraunt you can't have it your way here! so suck it up, and don't worry be happy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.