1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Username Limit of 10 Characters Is Awful

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by TomBrookl, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

Hi,
    I didn't actually expect afterdawn would change the username character limit (UCL.) A website this large and well established is likely to be too mired in convention to be able to change something, even if it is an improvement.

Afterdawn has been successful in spite of the UCL, and it's webmaster(s) probably has succumbed to the same complacency that often affects similar institutions.

I have noted that some websites which have a large userbase are switching from signing in with usernames to email addresses. This is likely because they are running into a shortage of unique usernames that people want to use.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

damn, and the recoding was well under way, 6 extra coders were drafted in for your username change alone. Can you forgive us, or at least give us time to sort it out for you ?

/sarcasm mode on :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Actually contrary to that, we quite actively develop the site based on user feedback, we just happen to have quite small dev team and therefor when things get added to our "to-do" list, it might mean that they're scheduled for development in 2 years' time :)

Tht might work fine for certain types of registration-required sites, but not to forums, where people's nicks need to be unique and where nobody wants to publish their email addresses as their "screen names".

But as stated, this question has been raised before and we'll look into it. If it is trivial to change, as I assume it is (just need to check about 10,000 templates to make sure that all the places that assume it is a max 10 char long, are taken care of..), we might have time this spring to squeeze the change through. But hey -- 'drd' is so damn short nick that it is often taken (or the site has _minimum_ length set to four for nick names :) that I need to often come up with alternatives when I register to other sites :)

4. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

Cool. Thanks for your consideration.
    Tom

5. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

[Post Deleted]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. varnull

varnull Guest

Hey hey ashwin.. how about..

mQGiBECEKbsRBACF78E0lzNV+OveaSzQfwQ3lgd2TeGMJBe1U0W932cJzc52QXHm
    rqRwAKzXCYVYqzFccp9TCoZ72Iy1epTLAILWn3MAD8XBZw1/+qH3fjRH8pCZictg
    E8ztgTFbpWbZMXhgs9ycfN5XZOjS9eeM/DBip4WNklwhbyiFOWPw0MiDYwCg63aH
    LfK5N8uYLS/Vh+DO5Kj2mg0D+QEQ/+epQf/MEwLSESFTE6zBgny47MzmjkjbT81j
    dmBul7PmvOpqzz5qFVWuLEUQxUG18po7ie8eHQXgQl6kQ9AcnkTXRPyumpNRTSGc
    DWznqrZX6pRWtP2EVS3ruPZbpOwkNoJmApnl9RX/pV0Cv/d4ArzaqFu5hgRkNTKI
    0HKCA/9i7FVsDLdY3DcJd3mvDw1vuuDeifvMQAy7HAZNLtsVnwcR/tPNqo3c1Yju
    tlyUm5Wnlq7Km16IpFRJWwo1IbArG0QpmBWGdLF79QHli5FRjvufj5HevyFDNXPi
    x1XHQ0x1m+7HVaqXGp3nro/HGs+gMgemunKo58+Bx/VtyR+wSbQmRWRMVUcgKEVk
    TFVHIEtleSkgPGVkbHVnQGVkbHVnLm9yZy51az6IXgQTEQIAHgUCQIQpuwIbAwYL
    CQgHAwIDFQIDAxYCAQIeAQIXgAAKCRDdbvekL2mKxe0MAKDicNHXBxaqVi3vAito
    dZndUNboqACgpjtIhYEnrWZUh5QWp3J8J5O+xM65AQ0EQIQyPRAEAK9JCYYxQ5AM
    Q4CkwxUOM3TB0wPVK20xYaZcVLVFgV8putNd52bnJO+MNA8WJ6Gn3SQqpwSwwcGN
    Bbg9enM3kAUhLcpT6zyfj+sB9pQ2LW6d0ZGB8ynUcyMBsiC31c+CdQQj5tAxvFfX
    lS80MNYE3St01q7weSjaXFlhKwlbMIufAAMFBACLOLjCCIZCye3gpr0Al72oGPAB
    1TTVQaVi7yx1SUWrcrr1YJYSv02AFqkGspBJ/B1mxgSpiD5H71cZoVjBpUc7yb06
    5AntB08x3MR2eXm4DqHdDRUj09pt95Wp2TgrA+gFixMxry9idT2WnUg+D/1Hkl56
    zuZTyJHgxzJz8oe2nohJBBgRAgAJBQJAhDI9AhsMAAoJEN1u96QvaYrFAyQAnRMY
    A5YRqrW182dVNKw+oEjFOVQSAJ9omsOvVapl7nlgZjGDX0vjCkQixA==
    =Tl0e

or in shorthand.. 011E 3730 8CCA E33C A78C 7293 DD6E F7A4 2F69 8AC5

Now that's what I call a username :lol:

I would put money on being referred to as "Tl0e" by normal humans tho... hah hah hah

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
  7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

"full name" implies complete first and last name, at lease in my locale.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Right on B.

9. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Okay. I was just saying that there aren't many people who use their real names for a nickname on a message board, let alone their first and last name. As for the 11 character length, it may affect someone who just wants to put his first or last name too (I know people who have really long names ;) ).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Meh...if your first name is longer than 11 letters, you fail at the Internet and we don't need you around anyway.

</bastard>

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

My last name is 10 characters long.....

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Yes, but that's not relevant to my last post. :p

Now, if your first name was Scottalicious or something, we'd chat more. XD

I love you guys. =^.^=

13. varnull

varnull Guest

scootybooty?.. :lol:

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

How'd you know my YIM? LOL
    Speaking of username/ online ID's... I've been going through my bands online friends list (over 15,000 names/hometowns) and merging all that data with our "human" contacts and importing it to Map Point software. Point is I'm 2,000 friends in and I'm already sick of names like this
    and location like this
    Not only is it annoying to look at , it doesnt lend to easy delimiting and formatting for import. Not only that but Microsoft maps does not know where A hell hole with too many people, Pennsylvania - United States is located :p
    I'm glad AD is the way it is.

15. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

I'm advocating a reasonable limit on username characters so a normal person with a legitimate name can use register with it. The use of weird characters is a seperate issue not dependent on length limitations and locations are not the issue. Your points are as irrelevant as many of the other replies are nonsensical.

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Point is, give an inch, take a mile. Just because you are so special you deserve the extra 2 letters and Afterdawn should change for you doesnt mean everyone else has the same good sense you do. Should someone else that wants not only 2 letters but symbols be treated any less than you? Any better? I personally dont want the floodgates opened, and my example of &#9830;&#9827;&#9787;&#9829;&#9786;eMo&#9787;&#9829;&#9824;&#9675;&#9688;• isnt the norm its an example of how things get overdone on other sites and me not wanting Afterdawn to change closer to that than where we already are.
    As for the nonsensical others, they are what drew me into posting, not trying to console the person crying about squeezing 2 letters in.

17. xsketchx

xsketchx Member

Absolute Legend LMFAO!

The thing is, most people don't want a Username longer than 10 character's, most people requiring this many would be either spammer's or retards, but there are the odd few like you who want it for a genuine reason! 10 Character's in my opinion is plenty, my whole name only comes to 15 Character's, and look how stupid I would be if I put JamieWilliamson, it's just stupid! You have an online name to protect your identity, mine of which I have just given away, but regardless, if your going to make one, chances are it's not gonna be any more than 10 - It's a simple, sensible number

xSketchx, comes from my drawings I like to do whilst falling asleep in class, and the 2 x's derive from my name which is on every other forum xmodderx, the point is, most of my online names and password are different, which is why I use an automatic password manager such as the one built into Mozilla, then there's no need to remember 101 different username's and password's... Maybe you should consider one?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  18. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Sorry sketch but, I think Mr. Brooklyn has his mind made up. ;)

19. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

Obviously, 10 characters is enough for most people. I am not trying to argue that. It is just not enough for everybody. I'll estimate it is not enough to meet 5% of the users preference.

Would you advocate excluding 5% of the population from anything or everything that 95% are satisfied with?

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Yes I would Gun Control comes to mind lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.