1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usiging VirtualDub

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by cuca1, Jan 3, 2005.

1. cuca1

cuca1 Guest

Hi, I'm trying to join my movie splited on two parts with VirtualDub in order to convert the AVI files in DVD+R.
    When I start the VirtualDub and I click on File--> Open Video File cames always the message that : Couldn't locate decompressor for VFW, after that I instaled the Panasonic Codec /pdvcodec and still the same problems.
    Please can someone help me, how can I advance or if it is another tool todo that.
    I'm a new one on this thema.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cuca

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I cannot understand that error. Use AVIcodec (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/avicodec.cfm) to determine which audio and video codec you need. Usually having FFDShow (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm)or DivX+Xvid is enough.
    More, my opinion is that making a DVD (4.5 GB) from an AVI (700-800 MB, about 0.7 GB) is useless. Making a VCD (easier than making a DVD) will give you a movie of the same quality with less expense of money and time.
    But this is only my personal opinion. Lot of people love to convert AVIs into DVD-R, even if I haven't still understood why. Garbage in ==> garbage out.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  3. cuca1

cuca1 Guest

I have already instaled the refered codecs and VirtualDub works correctly now.
    I'm trying to join two parts with 700 Mb (total-> 1400Mb), in order to make a DVD movie to be readed on almost DVD Home, just for this reason. Thanks for your help.
    Just one last question, what is the best freeware to convert the AVI files to DVD format? Is the TMPGenc ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Cuca

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

tmpgenc isn't actually freeware.
    the trial version, mpeg 2 encoding is only for a month.

if you want a totally free mpeg2 encoder.
    i think its QuEnc
    check out the software section.

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I repeat to you a question I already posted (with no effort), sinvce you seem rather advanced users.
    If I choose 'Portable Profile' (VCD) for DivX and I sed the video compression at the maxmimum bitrate for DivX I make (therefore I compress VCDs: for a DVD, the 'Home Theatre Profile' has a maximum bitrate of 4000!), with Virtualdub, a 1300 MB AVI! But if I choose Audio___No Audio Virtualdub gives me 700 MB (and the MP2 I make is less than 200 MB). Why?

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

@aldaco
    maybe you mistakenly chose full processing mode for audio.
    which will convert/decode the audio to uncompressed PCM
    assuming you didn't chose any compression method from the configuration menu.

how i does it.
    i always put to no audio.
    why ?
    i don't want anything to steal cpu power from the video processing. just in case. and mux later.
    of course, also, since i usually use vorbis or VBR mp3,
    virtualdub can't really handle that. nandub can, and i would use it to mux them.
    or virtualdub and matroska container.