1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using aol with microsoft outlook

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by cjdj, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjdj

cjdj Regular member

hi all,

have finally just managed to set up microsfot outlook to work with an aol e-mail account..except for one problem. It seems to synchronise okay with sending e-mails but refuses to sync with receving them.

I have just sent several e-mais from a2 seperate e-mail addresses to my aol account and did not receive them in outlook. So i then went to log in to my aol account on the aol website and found the e-mails sat there waiting to be read. so yet again i clicked send/receive button in outlook but the e-mails have still not come into outlook.

it sends them perfectly now that i have changed the port number for outgoing mail but all the sites i have checked say there is no need for a change of the incoming mail port number.

below is what it says on the aol site and many other sites with this topic:

Create and configure a new AOL email account in Outlook
    After your AOL email account is set up, the Outlook software must be correctly configured to be able to connect to AOL.
    To create and configure a new AOL email account in Outlook:
    Launch Outlook.

Click the Tools menu, then click Email Accounts.

Choose the Add a new email account option by clicking it, then click the Next button.

Choose the IMAP option by clicking it, then click the Next button.

In the Your Name: box, type your name as you wish it to appear on outgoing email.

In the Email Address: box, type your full AOL email address; for example, JSmith@aol.com.

In the User Name: box, type your AOL screen name, for example, JSmith.

In the Password: box, type your AOL password.

In the Incoming mail server (IMAP): box, type imap.aol.com.

In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP): box, type smtp.aol.com.

Click the More Settings button.

Click the Outgoing Server tab.

Click the My outgoing server requires authentication box to place a tick in it.

Choose the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option by clicking it, then click the Advanced tab.

In the Outgoing mail (SMTP): box, type 587, then click the OK button.

Click the Next button.

Click the Finish button.

can anybody help?

thanx

chris

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.