1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using bxStream to share files over network

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by rottie34, Aug 18, 2005.

1. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Ok! I'll post in this thread as soon as the hub arrives...

Here's my ultimate intention... Move the xbox downstairs to be hooked up to the surround sound ( I have the AV pack on the way with optical cable)... Run a 25' cable up from the xbox into the hub in the computer room. This way I still have FTP access from downstairs, and I want the MP3's from the computer to be able to be played in the surround sound downstairs...

Talk to you in a few days... Thanks again.

2. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

VERY EASY...As long as you have the hardware, I'll be able to help you with the setup. I've got one similar to that to my bedroom mainly for movies.

I'll make sure to stay subscribed to this thread, till then...

3. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Hey!

I finally have all my audio parts, and the switch.... The only piece I'm missing is a 25' patch cable which I hope to buy later today. The xbox is already moved downstairs and sounds incredible on the surround sound... I'll be very impressed if I can access my mp3's from the xbox down there!

I'll post when I get the patch cable..

4. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

When you do, I'll try to respond as quick as I can. I know you've been waiting for this...

5. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Glad to hear from you! My girlfriend might stop by the store on her way here, if so I should have the cable!

Hopefully it's just plug and play... The xbox needs to be set to DHCP, right?

6. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

It's your choice. DHCP is easier because you don't have to do anything but setting a static ip ensures you always have the same adress for your xbox. With that, you won't always have to set up/re set up your connections on your PC (for your xbox) that go to carious FTP programs (i.e. Qwix, FLash FXP, XB Connect, etc.)

7. rottie34

rottie34 Member

hmmm, this had me wondering before.... i would prefer to keep my PC at dhcp so i can use the internet connection. so right now the pc and the xbox will run into the switch. if the xbox goes with dhcp, what address will i FTP into? what do u use?

8. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

DHCP or Static IP setting does not effect your ability to use the internet or not

Your comment there strengthens the point I was trying to make.
    If you use DHCP you will always have to check your xbox to see what the address is (just in case it changed). That goes for anything set to DHCP.
    If you use Static IP, YOU ALWAYS KNOW what the IP address is.

Example: My xbox's IP address 192.168.1.200. When I want to transfer music to my XBOX (using FlashFXP) I just click on the lightning bolt and then the name of my connection for the xbox and viola.

If you don't have a static IP established, It's possible everytime you start up your xbox and want/need to connect to it...you'll hae to edit your connection settings...
    Example of FlashFXP Site Manager

[​IMG]

9. rottie34

rottie34 Member

awesome man, that clears it up! I'm going to go with DHCP... I don't mind changing the settings if necessary...

The cable hasn't arrived yet. How long do you plan on staying online?

10. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Should be a while...gotta get caught up on replies...been off the site for a couple days. Besides, I'm in Guam...it's only 1:30 in the afternoon. LOL.

11. rottie34

rottie34 Member

oh wow man, that's awesome! pleasure to meet someone from another country...

12. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Nah, I'm from Warner Robins, Georgia, U.S.A. I'm military and currently assinged here. That's all. LOL!! But a it's still a pleasure to meet you. ;)

13. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Hey man,

How's life in Guam?

I just got the cable and it's hooked up. I configured the xbox to DHCP, and rebooted. The one noticeable difference is that there is scrolling text (about xbox 360 so I know it's sharing the internet connection) on the main screen of my dashboard... When I go into XBMC I click on "my files", and go to SMB network share and it says access denied??? I don't know what else to do? Don't I need to specify which workgroup the xbox is a part of by some means of configuration on the xbox side?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  14. rottie34

rottie34 Member

also, when i try to access the SMB share it shows a path at the top of: SMB//Mywindowsserver/files/

In the My files screen I have all of these options:

SMB Network Share
    (Workgroups) SMB Network
    XBSMP Network Servers
    XBSMP Network Share
    XNS Network Share

None of these work?? **confused :/ **

UPDATE: I tried to FTP into the xbox with the Dynamic IP and it says rejected. Hmmmm? I don't think they are fully recognizing each other, there has to be another configuration setting that I'm missing? I have norton internet security, do u think the firewall is playing a role in this confusion?

15. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

(Workgroups) SMB Network should be the one. Once you click it I think it takes you to your network's name, then another click displays all PCs on your network and you should be able to navigate to your shared files/folders.

If files were shared before you set up your PCs Network you will need to unshare them and then reshare them.
    Make sure you have a newtwork setup on your PC.
    Make sure your PC was restarted after the network was setup.

Then should be able to navigate to your PC like I described earlier.

16. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Ok, I will unshare, then reshare, and reboot both the PC and xbox... Bb in 2 min....

17. rottie34

rottie34 Member

hmmm, did all of that, and it still says access denied? i'm wondering if the firewall is an issue here?

Is this the path is should be pointing to:
    SMB//Mywindowsserver/files/

18. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Ok, I added the dynamic IP to the list of "allowed IP's" in N.I.S, and I'm able to FTP, let me go check to see if the shares are working..

Update: I still cannot access the shares, but the FTP function is now working after the firewall configuration... hmmmmm

19. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Let me throw this idea at you:

There's an XML file within the XBMC folder of the xbox... I think I may need to edit this file to point to the correct workgroup... I may give this a try...

20. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Yeah try it but is it necessary that you use this program at all. Just setting up a Network on your PC and having files/folders shared should allow whatever is on your Network to access it.