1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using bxStream to share files over network

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by rottie34, Aug 18, 2005.

1. rottie34

rottie34 Member

2. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Right, Right. I do understand what you're saying but as far as setup goes you should only need to have a network, the xbox added to it, files you want to be share marked as shared and be able to navigate through the Workgroups(SMB) option to view those files. Trust me, I do it all the time.

I back up a lot of my movies (as.avi) for when I travel. I just throw a few in my laptop and hit the airport. I probably have about 40 or so in a shared drive on my PC. I have an xbox in my bedroom included in the network and my wife and I will watch movies via the network at night that way.

Honest, I've never edited an .xml file. There must be something small were missing here...

3. rottie34

rottie34 Member

It didn't work :/

I appreciate your patience with me... I just don't know what else is left to try?

4. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Explain exactly what your connection is.

5. rottie34

rottie34 Member

I have a cable internet connection, one PC and one xbox. All are hooked into a small powered hub....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-490916.html

This page (3rd post in thread) mentions that he did not have to configure the XML file (like u said), but he said to click on "(Workgroups) SMB Network"
    When I do this I got the following error: nt status object name not found"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  6. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

You're gonna have to redo your network. MAKE SURE that the network name is different than the one you currently.

1 - Unshare the folder you need shared / I don't think it will play a part but turn off all firewalls.
    2 - Redo the Network Setup on your PC (name it different)
    3 - You should be prompted to restart/do so and then share what you need to be shared
    4 - Add the xbox to the connection/hub
    5 - Navigate thru to the Workgroups(SMB) on through to your PC's shared folders
    *Access should be granted

7. rottie34

rottie34 Member

I just followed your instructions to the letter and I still get the error: "NT status object not found"

8. rottie34

rottie34 Member

9. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

I odn't think that would have kept you from having access to your PC Network but yeah, it's always good to stay up do date. XBMC has pretty stable updates so you should be fine in doing so. Give it a try. If you can at least access the internet via your xbox, it should have the update posted as available for you (if needed). Update it.

10. rottie34

rottie34 Member

I updated the XBMC today, and the newer version has a much newer feel to it... Now when I click on SMB network share I am prompted for a username and password, although I still cannot gain access... There is also a settings screen directly dealing with SMB shares where you can set IP's and workgroup names....

11. rottie34

rottie34 Member

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't ask me why or how, but it does!!!

Thank you!

Enjoy the rest of your time in Guam!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  12. rottie34

rottie34 Member

You know how it shows a double-pane with all the drives? Is there a way I can make this single so I can read the full song titles?

13. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

THANK GOD...Man, I thought I was gonna have to make a special flight to help you out. LOL!!! See, what did I tell you in that PM. Congratulations man, I hope you enjoy it. I'll have to look at what you're explaining on the double pane issue...I'll let you know.

There should be an option to make the names scroll side to side or consecutively though if theres not a way. Like I said, I'll check. Again, CONGRATULATIONS...Go Have a BEER!!!!

14. rottie34

rottie34 Member

I must say this is crazy! I can watch all my mpeg and avi clips, listen to a vast library of MP3's... I think I just might have a victory beer!! Technology is sweet when it doesn't confuse ya...

The text does scroll on each song title. I think the whole song would show if the pane wasn't double... It shows the same information, in two side by side panes...

Woah, I had a song playing, and I just looked over and there's a kickass screensaver rocking out with the song information... Talk about the ultimate jukebox!

15. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Hey I looked in all my xboxes and I didn't see what you meant by the split screen in XBMC. I'm assuming it looks like an FTP Programs setup but I don't have that display within my XBMC. But hey, no worries right, at least you're online and streaming music throughout the house!! If you want tme to look into it though, just say the word and I'll see what I can find. It's just a first glance while streaming music, I didn't see the split screen. Later.

16. rottie34

rottie34 Member

I just started up the xbox and went in to access some music, and no I cannot access the SMB shares. I noticed that the IP has changed on the xbox, but I can still FTP into it. I added the new IP to norton's safe list but it still won't work. It now prompts me for a username and password when I try to access the shares. IT never did this before, and regardless the username and pw I enter do not work.... I'll keep trying.

17. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Change you XBOX to a static IP address. For that very reason is why my network has nothing but Static IP addresses. Do that, restat your box and all should be well.

18. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Well I made the xbox static, then reinstalled XBMC on the xbox, and after a few restarts it's working again.

Thanks for your input!!!

19. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Anytime...

YES DHCP is always an easier setup and yes for most beginners they benefit in the beginning but I had the same issue you had when I first starting modding...static is the way to go with any network. Consistent identification makes for easy management. I have 4 PC's on my home network and just added a third xbox and I would have it any other way than static. ;)

20. sharad_74

sharad_74 Member

Hey rottie34

What exactly did you do to get the SMB share working? Did you do anything different from what was discussed in this thread? Did the XBOX just automatically detect the WORKGROUP? Did you have to enter andy username/password?

Thanks!