1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using bxStream to share files over network

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by rottie34, Aug 18, 2005.

1. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

i am also having some trouble doing this....can anyone point me in the direction of a faq or tutorial?? im having the exact same problems as the original poster had.....

2. sharad_74

sharad_74 Member

Ok so I got my SMB shares working.

My network setup:

Cable modem--->Vonage Cisco router (VOIP box--->Netgear wireless router

-Host PC/WinXP (used for hosting the shared files) is connected to the Vonage box.
    - WindowsXP set up with an account WITH a password. Apparently a password is necessary. Is this true? Anyways I have it set up.
    - Windows file/printer sharing is enabled. Folders are shared like normal.

-XBOX connected to Netgear via Linksys 802.11b bridge
    - No XML file was touched
    - Using SMB shares setting in XBMC 'Settings', I set the IP address of the host computer. I also set the username and password, same as the WinXP account/password pair.
    - That's it. When I go to Videos from the main XBMC menu, I see a new SMB share icon at the top of the list. I select it, wait a few seconds and I'm in.

Notes:

- I am using dynamic IP addressing for the XMBC. Will switch to static one day.
    - At the XMBC root screen I wait for the "news" to scroll at the bottom to ensure I have network connectivity first before trying to access the share.
    - My 802.11b network is WAAAY too slow to properly stream videos. I need 802.11g atleast.
    - I have no Windows or 3rd party firewall running on the host PC.
    - I have yet to get XBMS to work with ccXStream GUI. It can never detect the server running on the host PC, even when the computer was conected to the Netgear router (i.e. being on the same network as the XBOX). Do I NEED to configure a bookmark to get XBMS to work?? Once I do that, what icon do I need to select in Video to get the thing to work??

Thanks,
    Sharad

3. sharad_74

sharad_74 Member

BTW I forgot to mention that I set the host computer to be part of the WORKGROUP workgroup domain. It's the default on the XBOX so why meddle with that.

4. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

ok, ive followed all that, i had at one stage got the news to scroll accross my screen. but now it wont even connect....im really stuck here, ive looked on xbox scene for a tutorial or a faq and thru google and i cant find anything.....

can anyone please help me?? ide really appriciate it!

EDIT:eek:k....well im collected to something, as ive just downloaded a movie trailer for the new underworls evolotion movie from apple.com......im about it pull my hair out!!! can someone please help me??

My setup is like this DSL modem->usb port pc. xbox ->network card via crossover cable....no routers nothing wireless...its just something sipmle!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  5. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

ok, ive found some tutorials that say i need to edit the .xml file , which im really not comfortable with! i know there is an easier way to do this without editing anything...ive been at this all weekend and ive gotten nothing but indigestion!!!! Even had to use a system restore on my pc as i had deleted my account trying to get this working!!!

ARGH!

6. rottie34

rottie34 Member

Sarah,

Just do everything I did in this thread. Trust me, it's a pain at first, but in reality it's easy. I remember reading about editing the XML file, but that's all old school methods.

I know you can do this.

7. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

i have done EVRYTHING even used system restore to get rid of settings and start fresh, i deleted xbmc from my xbox and reinstalled it to get fresh settings on that too!

how does my xbox see my workgroup?
    im also using xp pro?

8. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

ok rottie...im willing to give it one last try before i thow the box out the window....i was wondering if you could help me?? any chance you could post exactly what you did step by step?? or even better....you could add me on msn and talk me thru it?? i would REALLY REALLY appriciate it! pm my if you want my msn name...dont really want to post it here

9. sharad_74

sharad_74 Member

sarahn11,

I'm guessing you have a Windows network bridge and internet sharing setup on your PC so the XBOX can access the internet through the PC?

To check whether the PC can see the XBox:
    - Can you ping the XBox from your PC?
    - Can you FTP to the Xbox?

If you have the latest XBMC you don't need to edit any XML files for SMB shares, it's all GUI based.

10. sharad_74

sharad_74 Member

Ok I need some help.

When I go to My Videos I can see the SMB share icon and can play video from my PC.

However if I go to My Music, I can't see the icon. I thought setting up the SMB share would allow me to play streaming music no?

11. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

yea i can ftp my xbox and i can download movie and game trailers from mbmc itself, however the news nor the weather or net radio will not work. im in network settings it says the xbox is not connected.

yep using latest version of xbmc. on friday evening i thought i was making headway as i could listen to radio, and see the news, however saturday morning came and for some reason i cant now no matter what i do!!

12. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

ok, got T3ch version of xmbc latest build, and still wont work for me, i just seem to be going backwards on this.... any help, please would be appriciated

13. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

i am still really stuck on this....can anyone help me?

14. sharad_74

sharad_74 Member

sarahn11,
    Do you have Windows firewall enabled?

15. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

no, i use macfee internet security suite, however i dont have my connections firewalled...ive just bought a new pc, a new modem, so im going to try starting fresh so hopefully i will get it....any answers to my questions would be great!!

16. sarahn11

sarahn11 Member

ok...now im really stuck and cant even get my pc to see my xbox plugged into my netword card.....

the modem is a new one, plugged into my usb post, but to set it up i had to type in the ip address 192.168.1.1 to get its settings etc....i thought that you only had to do that with a router?? i has got a ethernet connection in the back of it, but i chose to connect via usb as i only have the one port on my pc and was using that for the xbox..... followed pimpdawgs ftp tutorial, still nothing.....please, im really desparate for some help here!!!

17. sharad_74

sharad_74 Member

I've typically disabled my Norton Internet Security so far everytime I want to do SMB shares. I really shoulnd't need to and I haven't tried it with it enabled. I will tonight.