1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Canopus ADVC-100 for Audio Conversion

Discussion in 'Audio' started by robert7ii, Aug 14, 2004.

1. robert7ii

robert7ii Member

This unit has proven excellent for converting my old VHS to DVD, but now I would like to convert my old audio tapes to MP3. Can this Canopus do that? I have tried once or twice, and it seems as if it wants to see a video signal to work (it didn't, and didn't).

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Er - what ever made you think that this would work?
    ADVC = Advanced Digital Video Converter.

To record old tapes, you need to run them in through your sound card into an audio application, save them as either 16/44.1 WAV files & burn as Audio CD, or else export the WAV files you created as MP3 files.

Depending on computer spec, there is some good freeware out there for this, and Kristal would be my first suggestion at http://kristal.kreatives.org/index.php?section=news

Or else Audacity.

3. rh2705

rh2705 Member

Actually it is perfectly possible to do this, just play a video tape through the ADVC 100 but substitute the red and white audio leads for outputs from your hi-fi, leaving the yellow composite lead connected to your VCR, then rip the audio from the resulting video file.

Probably easier to just connect your pc to your sound card - if you have nero it comes with an excellent wave editor, but it sure is most definitely possible as long as you supply a video signal too.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Why not just input directly into the line in of the soundcard, rather than going to the trouble of getting in an AVI file, taking up yards of HDD space, then having to rip that, and fighting with the audio linking and inevitable frame dropping that will occur capturing from 2 sources simultaneously?

5. rh2705

rh2705 Member

works for me!