1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Computer While Running RB

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by TomBrookl, Sep 2, 2005.

1. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

I started my first job with RB following the UncasMS's guide on this forum and then read at the bottom of the guide that keyboard entries might disturb RB.

I have to use my computer now, so may have to abort the job and run it later. However, I minimized RB and will go about my computer use as I must now. Is it possible RB will run OK since it's minimized, or is it certain to get screwed up, in which case I might as well just abort the job now.

2. hotdogvl

hotdogvl Member

I think if you really need to use your computer than stop the job.
    your video might come out all messes up

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I agree with hotdogvl using your computer now would run the risk of messing up the file. Using DVDRB is CPU intenisiv you are running at about 100% using the computer would just take away resources from RB.

4. TomBrookl

TomBrookl Member

The job locked up and stopped progressing. Maybe it was because of some key I typed on. I won't try it again until I'm otherwise not useing the computer. How long does it take about to do a typical DVD. The one I'm trying to back up now is a TV Episode disk. It has four 1 hour episodes and is an 8+Gig disk.

5. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

It depends how many passes you've told it to do.
    You're looking at a few hours of not being able to use for other stuff.

6. UncasMS

UncasMS Regular member

and of course very much on your cpu + encoder engine + settings + ram + number of harddrives a little bit

in other words: hard to generalize

cce with 2 passes will do the fastest job, procoder2 may be slightly faster than hc enc (with profile best)

7. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

just do as many do. set it to work overnight.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

my computer has 2 processors and I am woking with 2Gigs of DDR2 RAM. I use my DVD programs and surf the net without any problems. I usually let the computer go when burning but I haven't had any problems with doing another program at the same time! My HyperThread EXtreme computer can handle it without any problems to the enconding and burning! I have over 560 backups now and no problem with any of them! They all work fine..... I watch them all!

9. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

I'm with Ihoe, my system is not as big, but I can do other things without causing problesm, andI have watched the back-ups to check. I would suggest that you take advantage of the batch processing and let Rebuilder work throughout the night and burn them later or set it up to burn the ISO image. I like to let Rebuilder work throughout the night. Works great.
    MovieDud

10. kreigle

kreigle Member

I agree. My dual processor system is only a P3 850 with 768Meg, however I can easily do other tasks while RB/CCE run in the background - task manager usually shows around 80% utilization. My wifes single-processor Celeron 1100 with 512Meg practically locks up when you try to do something else with RB/CCE running, while task manager shows 90%+ utilization. DVDs usually take me about 7-10 hrs on my computer, and around 12 hrs on my wife's.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Although I don't recommend it I sometimes multi-task only if I absolutely have to while rb/cce is running. I have a 2.8 ghz cpu o/c'ed to 3.2 and 1 gb of ram. The task manager shows cpu usage at 100% and my pc is slow as a snail while rb/cce is running. It takes me on average about 2 hours to encode a 6.5 gb folder. Multi-tasking has never screwed up any of my backups. I still don't recommend multi-tasking while rb/cce is running.

Mort

12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

it takes me only 1 1/2 hours for R/B to do it's job and that's with multitasking!

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Sophocles has his encode times down to under an hour with his athlon venice core cpu.

14. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

For a 2 1/2 hour movie it takes RB/CCE Basic 2 hr. 30 mins. (Prepare, Encode, Rebuild) then 15 minutes to burn. I can typically do 3-4 jobs in batch mode throughout the night. I feel that this is worth it for the quality you get. Hard to distinquish between the copy and the original.
    MovieDud

Comp. Specs.: AMD 64 3200+ 2.20 GHZ. 1600 FSB. 512 KB L2 Cache, 512 MB DDR SDRAM. Windows XP SP2, ATI Graphics. dual Dual Layer burners (NEC & SONY).

15. l8nights

l8nights Guest

under an hour soph?? that is blazing!!! how much processor/ram does this monstosity have. I am in awe. I think I have tower envy it is taking me 180min and change (prepare,encode,and rebuild)w/ilvu and I thought that was decent.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Oops looks like I lied. I looked up Sophs posts and one encode time was 74 min 7.62 gigs and another one was 76 min for a 7.82 gig folder and yet one more in 80 min for a 8.1 gig folder. I'm only quoting what he posted. He could probably do movie only in less than an hour or close to it. Here are his specs.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD 64 3500 Plus 2.2 GHZ
    Venice core, currently@ 2.64 GHZ
    2 Gigs dual channel Corsair XMS DDR 400
    PC3200C2; Sapphire 256 meg X800 Pro ViVo
    Seagate 250 gig SATA150 NCQ hard disk
    Plex 712 and 716 DVD Roms
    Creative Audigy2 platinum

17. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Mort..... depends on the movie......I have gotten 75 mins...... but on the average it's like 90mins! And I have seen movies that are just 1 hour and 20 mins take longer than 90 mins!!!! weird huh?

Mort.... I have never used batch..... what does that do? How do you use it? and when do you use it? in what cIrcumstances?

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

IHoe,

Yeah there's no rhyme or reason to it. I seldom backup movie only in which case I usually use dvdcopy3 for that job unless it's a very long movie like LOTR. I usually keep everything except previews, trailers, and warning screens. The polished and trimmed folder is on average between 6.5 gb and 7.0 gb.

Batch processing is nice when you have 2 or more folders that you want to encode while you're sleeping or at work. You set up dvd-rb like normal for the 1st folder then under file click save project. Do the same for the remaining folders you want to encode saving them under a different name. Then click batch then add and locate your saved folders and click open one at a time. When they're all loaded click start. I made a special folder called CCE batch folder to save my folders in for batch processing.

Mort

19. UncasMS

UncasMS Regular member

reaching 2.5x encoding speed with cce is far from unusual with an athlon64

thus a 90 min movie can be done in ~72 min

no big deal

20. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I've got an Athlon 64 3400+ CPU with 1GB of RAM and using RB I get encode speeds of like 160 minutes on avg. with about 8+ GB original. That is using the Undot plugin though. Times are much shorter without using the plugins.

[edit] As far as multitasking, I don't recommend it but I have noticed that whenever I do something with my PC while running RB it "pauses" so to say.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005