1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using DVDremake and Other Tools with DVDrebuilder And CCE

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Sophocles, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'd be interested in hearing about any results good or bad obtained with version 2.67. I just did K-19 Widow Maker and the result was almost perfect until it locked on my stand alone about halfway through. This was in file mode and without having used DVDremake at all.

If you could post the download URL for 2.67 the anyone else looking for it will be able to link to it.

2. 64026402

64026402 Active member

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Thanks, it couldn't have been easier.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Alright guys, finally, success! One BIG question! Has any body used CCE v2.67 yet since switching to v2.69? 6402, I know you were going to, did you, and if so, what happened?(BTW, thanx for the site). I had success using it with Die Hard III. Altho I didn't re-author an extreme amt. I just wanted to see if it would take with any amt. of re-authoring. Haven't watched the entire thing yet, but everything seems to be fine. If anybody else has tried it, please post. I know some of you think it's in RB, some in CCE, and some no probs at all. Soph, what did you use for F. Gump? I'm gonna try a heavy duty next, but before I do, just kinda want to test the water. Thanx all.....

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Bigorange

My new efforts are more than I'd like to explain now but I did go back to CCE version 2.67, but I haven't tried it with DVDrebuilder yet. I'll fill you in tomorrow.

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

OK,
    I finally completed The Matrix. That was the only one I have had a problem with so far. I kept getting 0003 or 0004 error on the rebuild stage. I have been hiding blocks to get rebuilder to accept it. I couldn't get the right combination to get the complete rebuild but the files worked with shrink and IC8.
    2.67 did not fix this. But I tried Dimads advice on splitting the interleaved blocks.

I used DVDremake to split the interleaved blocks in the main title manually one block at a time. It took about 10 minutes. No other titles had interleaved cells.
    I didn't hide any blocks at all this time.
    It finally got through thr rebuild stage. The burn is good. I have my backup.

I will go back to rebuilder and hide the unwanted extras but I'm pretty sure you can without penalty. I'm tired of The Matrix now. Next challenge.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald[/small]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Execellent.

Interesting! And well stated,if you get one right you might want to consider writing the steps down to share with others for that same movie. (walkthrough)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I just did Frequency before Matrix. It had angles but no interleaves. Hiding blocks gave no problems.
    I'm hoping the splitting of inteleave cells instead of hiding them will fix the intermitant rebuilder errors for the moment. I'll check and see what I have with interleaving to backup next.

I still haven't been able to use the strip angles. It just crashes. Mabe a fix is in the works.

9. 5thfloor

5thfloor Member

I know that this is the post with the experts and most likely to get the answer I am looking for. I was wondering what is the best tool to eliminate all of the menus and extras out of a Movie? Which is the eastiest? Fastest? Before running DVD RB & CCE.
    Thanks in advance..

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

That's 3 seperate questions with 3 possible answers. For me DVDremake pro is the best but I have a lack of experience in this area.
    DVDremake pro has the needed features and once you get to using it the basics are easy.
    If you right click over the titles that don't contain the main movie then click hide all blocks the given title will be edited out without killing off the movie and menu and screen selection.

Doing this and splitting the interleaved blocks in the main title if present seem to get it through rebuilder with minimum fuss.

DVDremake is also good for just removing the extra warnings and unwanted stuff from movies that don't require any or much compression. It's not just for rebuilder.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

5thfloor, DVDRemake is definitely the best re-authoring tool out there in my opinion. But it is designed to take out specific items while still retaining menu (and whatever else you want to keep). There has been some problems for some using it with rebuilder/cce. That doesn't necessarily mean it would happen to you. It sounds as tho you just want the movie by your statement[bold]"tool to eliminate all the menus and extras"[/bold]. If this is the case you really wouldn't need DVDRemake since it costs 25.00 and pro is 40.00. There are freebie apps out there that will do this for you. I prefer a working menu, but some just want the movie and nothing else, if that's what you're saying then you don't really need DRM.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  12. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The only 2 tools I know of that can remove both titles and menus are DVD Remake and DVD Stripper. Of the 2, DVD Remake is faster, easier, and more reliable. I used to use DVD Stripper just because it was the only freeware tool I found that would remove menus as well as titles, but removing menus with Stripper can leave you with a DVD that doesn't work. This is not due to a flaw in the program, but rather to bugs in IfoEdit, which Stripper is basically a front end for. As far as speed goes, DVD Stripper needs to rip the DVD itself, so for me it was much slower because I always rip my DVDs to the hard drive as soon as I get them, and then DVD Stripper always had to rip them again (much faster than the first time but still an extra step). Add to that the fact that Stripper's interface just doesn't give you access to as much information as Remake (especially the Pro version) or organize it as nicely, and to me it's a clear choice - DVD Remake all the way.

After that you have to decide between the regular and Pro versions, and for using with DVD-RB I'd say it's just as clear cut a decision. To remove interleaving (which DVD-RB can't handle yet) you need the Pro version. Interleaving seems to be getting more and more common lately, and not only does this allow you to prepare a disc for DVD-RB, but it often makes it possible to make a backup without any re-compression at all.

Edit: After reading back through your post I realized that you said "remove all menus and extras". If you want to remove everything but the movie, I agree with bigorange that you don't need any commercial software. DVD Shrink will do that for free.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

13. 5thfloor

5thfloor Member

thanks everyone for your input.. one more question.. what i am trying to do is combine both discs of pearl harbor into just one without menus or extras.. please let me know if these are the correct steps.. download both disc to HD with decrypter (FILE MODE), then reauthor with shrink and add both movie files only.. change it not to compress and have to to write to HD.. then use DVD-RB & CCE.. if so is dvdshrink just creating the file structures for me? or is it actually touching the movie files?

14. vurbal

You could actually skip DVD Decrypter altogether (most of the time) and just make movie only backups to the hard drive in DVD Shrink, and then use DVD Shrink to make a compliation with both movies. As long as you make sure to use No Compression each time through Shrink it won't alter the video in any way.

Just a little tip for DVD-RB settings. You may get better results by resizing to Half D1, but it depends on how much compression the movies need.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

15. 5thfloor

5thfloor Member

thanks vurbal..

what exactly is that doing?

16. vurbal

Basically it reduces the resolution by half. That sounds bad, but think of it this way. While higher resolution is nice, if you don't have enough bitrate to give to every pixel you can get blocky output. Reducing the video to Half D1 allows you to give each individual pixel a higher bitrate, and therefore ensure that when the pixels need to change, there's sufficient bitrate to do it. On most normal TVs this will often look better at lower bitrates than full resolution.

17. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

@5thfloor, I joined Pearl Harbour using this guide ages ago. Worked quite well
    http://users.pandora.be/rudy.stremersch/joinclip.html

@vurbal, lol so many people say DVDStripper was a front end for Ifoedit and it was in a way but only to automate the updating of the sectors :). DS was just filled in the gap between ripping and rebuilding which was the removal of unwanted video as Ifoedit cannot strip anything apart from VOB ID's. We were hoping to get rid of Ifoedit due to certain issues but development died off when we got all of 3 donations yet over 40,000 downloads I suppose

You can actually command line DVDDecrypter to strip the DVD direct and I tried to talk to Lightning UK to see if he was interested in making some sort of stripping feature but I hit a brick wall as I did when talking to the other guru's to try to get them to work on something. It's a shame really as decent stripping tools could have been around over a year ago yet DRM is the only one to come near to the tool I visualised back at Doom9 in March last year in points 1 & 2

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49224

Everybody's lose I suppose :(
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]DVD Backup Tools and Guide

http://www.Deano.dsl.pipex.com/dvdremake/dvdremake.htm
    http://www.DVDStripper.com[/small]

18. 5thfloor

5thfloor Member

vurbal,

So do you do this on all movies? Or is this only for movies that are a certain size? The reason that I drop the menus and extras is because I have a 50" Samsung DLP widescreen and it is very particular so I try to avoid compression at all cost. Is the 'Reducing the video to Half D1' what I need to do for the best picture with my digital tv?

Also have you ever converted 4:3 ratio to 16:9 with DVD-RB? If so what is the quality?

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

5th floor, I have a mitsibishi 56" HDTV and I can assure you that with DVD-RB/CCE you can keep your menus and still have quality that will pass muster.(also, 2 other programs of note, Pinnacle InstantCopy 8 and Intervideo DVDCopy 2 are excellent for movies of lesser size which don't require the time rbldr/cce does.) So, if you want menus and some extras( personally, I like to keep alternate endings, outtakes, and deleted scenes), you can, and still have the quality you desire. If that's the case, then you ought to get DVDRemake to re-author.

20. 5thfloor

5thfloor Member

bigorange, That is good to know. I thought that my results in the past were due to compression but I am coming to the reality that it was the software. I used recode and dvdxcopy before and have not had so great of results. I keep hearing about the Pinnacle and InterVideo software, what file size do you stop at when using these softwares? Which is better in your opinion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.