1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using goldwave to make cds from records

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by benbernie, Jan 16, 2010.

1. benbernie

benbernie Regular member

hi
    i just got goldwave and i dont know how to export the mp3 files though
    goldwave to a cd.i downloaded a lame encoder into it but theres nowhere
    to export the files from there.i asked this in the forum for goldwave
    but they wont responde at all..is this a stupid question or what?thanks

benbernie

2. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

I don't use Goldwave, but I do use Audacity..Soo, use a burning app e.g. burrrn, CDBurnerXP, BurnAware) etc and import the mp3s created by Goldwave, and burn them on a CD disc..
    Does GW, have a burning option?..Did GW, not create the MP3s?..Perhaps you need to point GW to where you installed Lame. exe, as you do with Audacity..Check your settings..

3. scum101

scum101 Guest

Good way to ruin the audio quality of the vinyl.. why convert to MP3 and then back to a lossless format? cd's are wav media files so that should be your target capture format.. no mp3 rubbish.

Audacity is THE tool for all these kinds of vinyl/cd conversions.. that's the end result you want, not some compressed and nasty mp3 double encoded noise.

4. benbernie

benbernie Regular member

hi
    goldwave does not use a lame encoder..thats surprizing considering
    audacity and nero which ive used both have.neither does goldwave ha-
    ve a burner..you have to export them but its different than audacity
    its more confusing at least 4 me.but goldwwave does let you adjust
    your record before you record it.audacity does not.it never gets easy.

ben

5. scum101

scum101 Guest

In what way "adjust" ?? Like input filtering or something? That's a path I never go down, except occasionally making a few tweaks with my 64 band graphics which are in the chain and then only usually to take out the sub 16Hz and over 24K "screech" that some very old mono vinyl has.. purely to avoid any strange intermodulation artifacts. Everything else is far better dealt with in the post capture processing phase. I find that mistakes or guesses before capture can't be easily undone whereas just treating the input source as a raw total grab and then taking time tweaking and twiddling gives a far better end result.

Often when things are rare unreleased acetates I don't do anything but capture them and upload.. for historical reasons serious collectors of rare demos from the 60's prefer that.

It's not easy, and I guess everybody will have a slightly different method. I run on my 9 years professional sound engineer experience and having good ears to get results that I think are as good as any of the commercial restoration companies.

maybe this can help with the strange problem.. but after reading a lot about this software it doesn't do anything that audacity and a nice freeware music production app I use won't... not that audacity (with a heap of community plugins) ever lets me down..

http://www.goldwave.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3129

6. benbernie

benbernie Regular member

hi
    ok what i mean is that you can pause the recording process play the
    record at the peak points and adjust it accordingly.with audacity you have to actually record it.sometimes you think youve hit the peak
    points with audacity but then you hit a peak point you didnt know
    was there and then you have to reajust the whole process and start the whole thing again....a pain in the rear!

ben

7. scum101

scum101 Guest

It can be I agree.. but that's why I always capture at -12dB or below.. Most reasonable condition vinyl doesn't have that many big spikes.. they are brick wall limited at the cutting stage to -3dB for full output (riaa eq characteristic specifications.. post 1958.. later modified for -3/-3/120Hz post 1964 stereo convention.. most 33 rpm records comply to this except some 70's direct cut and some smaller companies who adopted a -6dB format to save on materials.. rare earth and Pye Golden Hour are the ones I remember being particularly bad for being non standard. 45's can be up to +6dB over on mono and +3dB +3/+3/240Hz.. equals the mono volume boost.. think that was set in 1970, but my memory is a bit hazy) .. so all you should get after working out the peak level from your hardware is the odd big scratch or "needle drop" pop pushing the recording into the clipping area.. and we cut those anyway?

I always play through anything first to make sure there is nothing I need to be aware of.. jumps.. big bangs or places they get stuck... and also to get a feel for the behaviour of the vinyl.. after 40 odd years they are all different with some odd wear profiles and weird groove configurations caused by heavy "nails" on portable players in the 60's and 70's and all kinds of abuse.

I'm still a little puzzled.. audacity will monitor recording level while paused.. and allows adjustment of input level without recording anything. No matter what program you capture with it will exhibit similar actions.. and pausing will lead to a gap in the capture if already recording. I still can't see any advantage of that payware over the freeware, but I do see some fundamental limitations especially with the restricted formats it will handle without messing around and converting between formats on the fly just to edit.

As for the odd overload situations.. same as skips.. I just pause.. alter the level slightly.. and wind back a few seconds earlier than the peak.. set a marker and continue.. then I can edit the join seamlessly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010
  8. benbernie

benbernie Regular member

hi
    wow thats techical...but how do you get audacity to pause while setting the peaks of the record?ive always had to record the record
    while setting the peaks...im using 78s not vinal though..although i
    do have alot of lps and 45.im beginning to think that goldwave is
    for guys who like to tikner with it and go "nuts" with it.me?i just
    want to get it done so i can enjoy the music on the cd ive made...

ben