1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using laptop screen and keyboard with another system

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by theboner, Apr 20, 2005.

1. theboner

theboner Member

i've got a Dell 8600 with a nice big 1920 x 1200. i'm thinking of either buying a mac mini or just setting up an old pc i have just to mess around with. is it possible to connect a system to a laptop and use the laptop's screen and keyboard with another system? i don't think it's possible but i'm just wondering if there's any way to.
    thanks.

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

And the answere is: NO. The only thing sending a signal to the LCD is the VID card inside the laptop. There are no VGA inputs on a laptop.

However. If you are using XP PRO you can use remote desktop to operate the computer from your laptop. This methood is slower than what you are wishing you could do. The video does not refresh as fast so trying to play a game off the computer may not look good or even work.

-Del

3. theboner

theboner Member

along those lines, is VNC faster or better than remote desktop?

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I have not played with VNC. Even Pc anywhere has video refresh lag time. Im gonna bet that VNC will as well. If it is free then try it out. See what happens. Just sit an wait to see if others may have a thought. There may be some hardware out there I'm not aware of. But not likely for this.

If you computer has a TV out I guess you could try one of those things that let you hook up a VCR through USB. Plug the USB to the laptop. You will lose some image quality but the video refresh problem might be gone. I would not recomend that methood but it is a way to do it.

-Del