1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using lots of ram at idle

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by neptune, Mar 2, 2014.

1. neptune

neptune Regular member

[​IMG]

pic is with internet explorer running .at idle using 1.06 gb of ram

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. aldan

aldan Active member

thats not really excessive.you are running a few more processes than i am tho.maybe check and see if you have a process running that is hogging ram.maybe you have processes running that dont need to automatically run.setting those and some unessessary services to manual start would free up some ram.here is a guide for tweaking services.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-c...dows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

aldan that guide looks tricky and i wouldn't recommend touching the registry if you don't know what your doing.

basically you gotta turn some of the start up programs off and your computer will load faster and use less resources at start up, think my bootup time went from 4mins to about 2mins and yeah less start up programs less stuff running.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

hey xboxdv12 guide is really pretty simple.it shows the default setting for your version of windows and then the "safe" setting to the advanced setting.this just changes the way some of your services start and in some cases turns off services you dont need.worked beautifully on any machine ive used it on.the safe settings are pretty foolproof and i havent had a service malfunction at those settings.if you do get a message that the service couldnt be started you just go into admin services and change it back to default settings.cheers.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

[​IMG]

@aldan, what ya got that'll help me?

6. aldan

aldan Active member

2old,where did you get that from?? this isnt a trick question is it.looks like that machine has half a gig of ram dedicated to integrated graphics? i swear by that black viper guide.sure speeded up my ole phenom triple.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

It's a honey and I don't worry about how much ram is used for cache.. It's the startup progms and services that eat up resources.

@xboxdvl2, if I remember, you had a lot of startup programs the last log I saw of yours.
    If you post a HJT Log we can see what's going on. are you running slow?

8. aldan

aldan Active member

yeah,as long as i dont run out of ram im good.lol

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

10. aldan

aldan Active member

ah,i knew youd have something for me oh obiwan.i will give it a look.

11. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

start up seems fine,only issue that i have been having is blue screens in command and conquer, 1 of the programs cleaned my registry and i had a conflicting usb device, i use motioninjoy to use a ps3 controller as xbox 360 controller on pc games and due to it changed the controllers registry it caused issues.ran a virus scan a few hours ago actually and killed 24 virus's computers seems to run fine.

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

If you are getting that many viruses, your AV is not doing its job.

If you are still using MSE, I believe you would be better off to uninstall it and install Avast 2014.
    If you decide to, let me know and I’ll show you how to set it up..

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

@xboxdvl2, if you change your AV then Avast is the best Free one and better than most paid av's.

It has realtime scanners, cloud updates and lot's of other goodies..

1. Download
    Here is the direct download link for -> Avast Free Antivirus 2014

2. Installation
    It is essential that you select the custom installation option during setup. If you do not, you may end up with modules, browser extensions, desktop gadgets and more that you do not have any use for. More importantly, they may also use system resources while they are running.

[​IMG]

1. Remove checks if you do not want or need Google Chrome,
    2. Select Custom installation.

On the next page click continue, or change the install location if you prefer.

The next page is for the components you want installed.

[​IMG]

Here is a quick rundown of what the shields and tools do that Avast ships with:

These are essential and must be checked to install:
    File Shield: Offers real-time protection. Scans files when they are run on the computer.
    Web Shield: A shield for http traffic. Scans urls and can block bad urls.
    Mail Shield: Scans mail for malicious files, but not spam in free version.
    Browser Protection: A web reputation browser extension.

The following are optional. Most do not work in the Free version and just cause pop ups wanting you to buy them…I suggest un-checking All of these:

Software Updater: Checks installed software for updates and lets you download and install those. This one works but is very limited in terms of programs it supports. I use Secunia PSI to keep All my programs updated.

Avast Remote Assistance: Control a computer from a remote location. This does not fully work in the free version.

SecureLine: A VPN service built into all Avast products. Is available for $7.99 monthly or $5.99 when billed yearly. A three day trial is provided.

RescueDisk: Enables you to create a bootable CD, DVD or USB Flash Drive that you can use for offline scanning and cleaning. I use Kaspersky boot disc when needed.

Browser Cleanup: Can remove extensions, toolbars and plugins. This one works, but not real well.

Avast Gadget: A desktop gadget that displays the system's security status and lists options to open various modules or run a scan. Who needs more clutter on the desktop?

3. Registration
    Even if you are using the free version of Avast, you have to get it registered to continue using it after a 30 days trial period. Registration is free, but mandatory. You can register right from within the application, or create a new account on the avast website.

4. Hardened Mode This is the part I like.
    The feature is not enabled by default. Avast says that the mode will tighten security further on the computer it has been activated on, and that it is designed for inexperienced users. For ease of use this should be for All users..
    It blocks the execution of binaries sandboxed by the DeepScreen feature or limits the execution of files to those accepted by FileRep running.

[​IMG]

Open Avast goto -> settings -> antivirus -> Hardened Mode and check the Enable hardened mode box there.

If you select Moderate, it will block the execution based on the DeepScreen (sandbox) feature and give you a choice of blocking it.
    If you select Aggressive it uses FileRep to block all but whitelisted apps.

5. Turn off the voice in Avast
    Avast will notify you by voice when operations complete. While that may be great at first, it can quickly get on your nerves.
    If you want to disable sounds in the program, go to Settings > Appearance and uncheck the "Enable Avast sounds" box there, or only disable the voice over sound by clicking on sound settings and unchecking that box only.

6. Silent/Gaming mode
    This mode suppresses popup notifications and alerts while you are running full screen applications on your system. It needs to be enabled under Settings > General.

That should be enough to get you going. If you have any questions, just ask.
    2oG