1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using MP4Box and Subtitles

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Chirmaya, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Chirmaya

Chirmaya Member

My goal is to get an MP4 file that my XBox 360 can read. Currently, using MP4Box does not produce a file that my 360 can read, but using Videora Xbox 360 Converter makes a readable one. The problem is that this does not contain any subtitles. I used GSpot and noticed some small differences between the one on the the MP4Box file (left) and the Videora Xbox 360 Converter file (right).

For the MP4Box I do this:
    1) Use MKVExtract to get:
    - title.h264
    - title.aac
    - title.ass

2) Use H264 Info to change the level to 4.1

3) Use Subtitle Workshop to convert title.ass to title.srt

4) Use MP4Box like this:
    mp4box.exe -add title.h264 -fps 23.976 -add title.aac -add title.srt -new title.mp4

The Videora Xbox 360 Converter profile I use is listed as:
    H.264 720p 3072kbps Stereo/160kbps

I know that there are slight differences, but I am not sure if I can add some lines into MP4Box so that I can get my output to match the output of the Videora Xbox 360 Converter. Any help would be great because I am thoroughly stuck!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. Chirmaya

Chirmaya Member

I am now successfully converting the title.srt to title.ttxt with:
    MP4Box.exe -ttxt title.srt.

Now I use:
    MP4Box.exe -add MyVideoraConvFile.mp4 -fps 23.976 -add title.ttxt -new NewVideo.mp4

This gives me the exact file with the subtitles added in (I can see and use them using VLC) but there is one problem. They do not auto-load in WMP11 or my XBox 360, and I cannot select the subtitles using the subtitle menu on the 360. Does anyone know how I can get the subtitles to be the default subtitle track?

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Download VobSub to display subtiles in WMP11.

4. Chirmaya

Chirmaya Member

The thing is that I made an MP4 where the subtitles did show in WMP11 with a different process somehow. I think that I need this current setup to show the subtitles by default so that my XBox 360 will too.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

So if you need VobSub to show the subtitles in WMP, then they will not show in your XBOX?

6. Chirmaya

Chirmaya Member

Looking into it further, there doesn't seem to be subtitle support for the MP4 format for the 360. Do you think that hardsubbing is a viable option in this case, or will it require me to re-encode everything for a long amount of time?

7. atomicxl

atomicxl Guest

I don't think it supports subtitles period. I've tried every form of subtitles I can think of (even standard DVD ones) and none will load on the 360. Maybe we will get support in the next update along with multiple audio tracks and 5.1 AAC support.