1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using nero after tmpgenc??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kyle_101, Mar 1, 2005.

1. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Ok well i have just used tmpgenc to encode and now was wondering if i use nero to burn with???

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you're wanting a playable DVD you need to convert the M2V and WAV files to VOB/IFO/BUP with something like TMPGEnc DVD Author. I believe Nero Vision Express will work too.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  3. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Right well i used canopus procoder to put filters on the file and to encode it to mpeg2 then i wanted to copy it to dvd, so could you go through exactly what i need to do next in a step by step guide.

Thanx

4. Nephilim

Oh I was hoping you weren't going to ask that! :p

I actually don't know a whole heck of alot with this subject - I've only done it a couple times a while ago and what I wrote is all I remember of the process. I'll do you one better though and pm some guys that can give you the skinny, how's that sound? :)

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi kyle,
    Well the easiest way to do it seeing how you already have Nero is to use [bold]Nero Vision Express[/bold] If you don't have that already you can download it from here
    http://ww2.nero.com/us/nero-up.php
    and download package 2. It is actually very simple with NVE just open NVE and it pretty much walks you threw the whole process. I am in the process as I write this on making a guide and will post it as soon as I have it ready, but you shouldn't have to much trouble.. Let me know :)

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Hi thats realy helpfull, but the only thing is, i used canopus procoder so that i could get the best quality encoding, when i encoded it i chose dvd pal and it said that it would convert it to mpeg2. NOw when i look at the file extension it says m2v is that the same thing?? Also the video file is 3.89gig and the audio file is 0.99gig now all i want to do is put it on dvd and i was told to do it with tmpgenc but i followed the guide here and it wanted to encode agan and i didnt know if that was right cause i already encoded cold you please help if you need more info then just let me know.

Your help is very much appreciated.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

m2v is actually a mpeg2 format, and you can just change the extension to .mpeg so it is more compatable with more players. Now if you want to play that as a standard DVD format you are going to have to convert the file again to get .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP files. Some players however will handel mpeg files as long as all your setting are correct in the mpeg file. NTSC disc the video stream has a resolution of 720x480 PAL discs have 720x576. You may be able to take your mpeg file and put it into a folder named VIDEO_TS just like that in caps then you should be able to burn that onto a disk with the folder, and it will play again assuming all your prior converting was done correctly. Well I take that back I just remembered you have your audio in a seperate file so you are going to have to use another program to convert so you can get your audio and video in sinc together TMPGEnc would be the right program for that.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

Here is about all I know about the subject. This would have been a better subject for the advanced section than the newbie section.

Handy information before one starts converting video files (VCD/SVCD/DVD):

This link is currently good for codec packs (and some other handy software), go to http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm . (New codec pack. at http://codecguide.com/

Download and install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.20

Get TMPGEnc Plus (preferrably the most recent version)
    It doesn't need registration, it's free, (unlike WinAVI, Canopus Procoder...) Download, install, and you're ready to go.

To make a DVD mpg out of a video file:

Step 1: Select DVD (NTSC for US and Japan, PAL for other parts of the world) . Pay attention to the pulldown with the audio settings. This is the time to change it (if you like). Recommended is CBR MPG-1 Layer II Audio (MP2) instead of the PCM audio (PCM = WAV, WAV files are much larger than an mp2, and encoding with PCM audio may cause the file to be too large to fit a 4.7 Gb DVD, 4.37GB capacity)

Step 2: Load the video file. Click the Browse button for the Video File ONLY. An Open window will come up, Point to the video file you want to convert, and click it. If it's a valid video file and the audio is valid, it will load automatically. If you encounter a problem at this point, you can find out what went wrong by using GSpot, which was installed when you installed the codec pack . If the video file loads, the audio should load automatically with it (hopefully no problems).

Step 3: Skip this step, and click Next. Go on to Step 4

Step 4: Set the output file size, resolution, etc. Notice the blue bar, it now moves. Here's what to do with it. Depending on the number of files wanted to be burned on a DVD, divide the total size of the DVD by the number of files desired. (appproximately, 1 file = 4.0 Gb, 2 files = 2 Gb, 3 files = 1.25 Gb, 4.37GB is the actual size of a 4.7 DVD5 disc, so you can do the math.) Luckily, you don't need to do any math. TMPGEnc is set up so one can choose how much space to use on a DVD in a (%) percentage (just above the blue bar). 1 file, use the whole thing (or move it back to about 95% of the total DVD to leave room for a menu). 2 files, set that percentage to about 47.5% (47.5% + 47.5% = 95%). 3 files, set the percentage to about 32% (32%+32%+32%=96%, a little closer, but still safety room or room for a menu). Pay attention to the resolution, if you change the file size too much, it changes the resolution, (from 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL, to 352x480 NTSC or 352x576 PAL). It can stay that way, some recommend changing it back to normal (720x480 NTSC, or 720x576 PAL). That is a preference, there have been problems with some DVD players playing files of 352X480 resolution.

Step 5: Choose the output directory. Click the Browse button and point it to the directory you want the outputted .mpg to go to, and click Save. There are 2 checkboxes here. one says 'Start Encoding Immediately' and the other says 'Create Another Project(s) For Batch Encoding' This is useful when there are more than one video file to convert. UNcheck 'Start Encoding Immediately' and check 'Create Another Project(s) For Batch Encoding'. Then refer to Step 1 again. Multiple files require repeating. You can add any number of files this way. Be sure that all files meet the same standards from Step 1, othewise you have a mess and wasted your time. When all the files needed have been converted, UNcheck 'Create Another Project(s) for Batch Encoding' and check 'Start Encoding Immediately'. Click Next and you are creating files.

Don't allow 'Elementary Streams' output. By default, it doesn't, but it has been observed that allowing TMPGEnc to put out 'Elementary Streams' (.m2v + .mp2 or .wav) causes the file to be out of phase on the DVD when the DVD is authored, a.k.a. DeMuxing. Not a good plan. Some people note that since changing to NOT allowing 'Elementary Streams' output, they have burned fewer DVD coasters.

Some people note Nero having a little trouble burning valid DVD's. I've not really noted the problem personally. Some people recommend TMPGEnc DVD Author.

For the novice, a word about media. There are 2 basic types of DVD blanks on the market. DVD+R and DVD-R ( both RW). People ask repeatedly, "what's better, +R or -R?" The answer is really simple. Look at your DVD player's manual and then use +R or -R as noted. +R is a personal preference. What brand? The one's with a good reputation. Buy branded media with a good guarantee from a reputable source; i.e. Verbatim, TDK, Maxell, Ricoh, Sony ... there are problems with Memorex (CMC?) I use quality media and have had no problems from media in hundreds of burns.

Hope there was something in there that helps. If not, then it's a good quick guide for the beginner. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

Why the use of multiple encoders? The use of multiple encoders for a single project is a bit questionable. Multiple encodes isn't going to help the project. The files should have been converted and then encoded.

NVE3 doing the file conversions would have made the material more compatible with Nero. If in DVD format, one can sometimes run files through DVD Shrink (no compression) to correct minor structural errors. Notice I said sometimes and minor. You can tell real fast, if the DVD Shrink does an initial analysis of the Video_TS folder or ISO (disc image), you're on the right track. (Shrink makes an excellent ripper (no compression) while using AnyDVD and proves to be a handy utility as well as a decent editing and transcoding app.) Nero Vision Express 3 (NVE3) in conjunction with Recode in the Nero suit are invaluable for working with file conversions to burn with Nero. Extensive guides for Nero apps can be found on the Nero website. Also, there are a number of guides on using TMPGEnc in the guide section here at AD.

11. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Thanks for that, but all i want to do is, I have downloaded a series of a tv show and i wanted to put all the files into a timeline basically and then be able to create chapters between the episodes is that possible?

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Why didn't you say what you were doing instead of running over processes and talking about encoders. From what you said earlier, it sounded like you had downloaded video and needed to convert to mpeg2 files for DVD (DVD Video). Something along the lines of AVI or DivX to DVD. In which case you would have needed to be addressing the MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD) forum.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/40
    That forum is meant for solving problems related directly to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 encoding and burning.

Recorded movies, depending on the recording process, should already be in the correct format. Just so we have it straight; what did you use to record the episodes? Also, are they individually already in DVD Video (mpeg 2) format? I was wondering about the talk of adding filters and file conversion.

For what you appear to want to do, connect files and put in chapters (menus maybe), you need an editing program. Something along the lines of DVDReMake and/or DVD Lab Pro. There are other editing apps available, but Remake is one of the easier ones, if it will do all you're wanting. This is advanced work for a novice. Work like this needs to be discussed in the DVD-Video authoring forum.
    All around discussion about authoring DVD-Video discs. Problems with authoring software, discussion about authoring techniques and tweaks etc. -- all welcome here!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/126

Once again, you appear to be addressing the wrong forum.

You need to be working in the File format, if you aren't. Once you have the files edited and spliced, then as a test, run it through DVD Shrink (no compression) to a file on the hard drive (if it works, record that file). That is one of the backup options in Shrink.) It's quick and doesn't effect the material you've recorded. However, it will correct any minor structural flaws and tell you if the material is recordable to DVD.

The files will have to be in a folder named VIDEO_TS (which can be in a folder named for your project). The files being recorded, all have to be in the DVD Video format. [bold]Just splicing the files together doesn't work because individually recorded episodes end up with files of the same name. You have to use a program that will reassign designations in the combining process. So, you couldn't just burn some spliced together files with Nero for just the reason I mentioned.

Once you have your project prepared and know it is recordable, then you can worry about encoding if the file size is larger than the target media, 4.37GB for a DVD5.[/bold]

[bold]This thread has developed into something other than a newbie problem. Sounds like you need to start a thread in DVD authoring about software needed to edit and burn recorded episodes and adding chapters? Encoding and burning TV episodes is simple enough, it's the adding chapters that will cause most of your difficulties.[/bold]

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Kyle, you're putting the cart before the horse. 1st things 1st. I would start all over using, as bbmayo suggested, NVE 3(NeroVision Express). I happen to like it better than TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc Dvd Author, plus you're only using one program instead of two.

Have you tried NVE(NeroVisionExpress)? It will allow you you to convert the files(It also converts faster than most of the other file conversion apps), add more than one file at once, create a custom menu for your compilation so you can navigate and go to any file you wish, set chapters, compress, and burn to DVD all in one app.

It even has a software remote control with which to preview your work and make sure it works and allows you to make any changes you wish before you burn to disc.

It comes in the Nero Ultra 6 suite, an entire suite of audio and video programs which you can use for free each and every month for the entire month til you decide to buy(which I highly recommend). You must install it on or after the 22nd of each month and then you are good to go til the 22nd of the next month. Then repeat the process.

Here is a NVE 3 guide I wrote that is simple and should be easy to use along with the NVE 3 guide from the Nero Homepage. If you're finished files are too large for your DD, then it's time to use another program, (like procoder, recode, shrink, etc.). Simply send your NVE 3 finished files to your hard drive instead of burn to disc and then use those finished files with whatever program you wish to compress with, then burn to disc.

Here is an addy to my NVE 3 guide.

http://www.zentarium.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43

Good luck however you decide to go :>)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  14. brobear

brobear Guest

Hey BigO,
    Couldn't agree with you more there big guy. I alluded to that in my regular verbose manner. Wish I could be as concise as you are sometimes. LOL Thanks for showing up and getting this thread straightened out. I thought this would have been more appropriate in the authoring forum; especially since kyle_101 is wanting to add chapters to separate the episodes. Will NVE3 add material to the video for that task and if so, what would he use to prep the material he wants to add to create his chapters? I'm still the novice when it comes to the full capabilities of NVE3.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey hey brobear, (the room is almost done :>))

With NVE 3 he can set chapters at the beginning of each episode, then when constructing his menu, using the menu edit feature, he can use imported impages for chapter pics, running video, or whatever he wants. He can also import his background, I do this quite a bit using a site called "movie goods". They have all kinds of pics, posters, etc. and a wide range of movie and shows in their inventory. I do a lot of movies not on DVD that I record off TV, and NVE 3 works very well for this and episodic television. I then use nero cover designer and make my own custom DVD covers getting synopsis, pictures and posters from the above site and compiling them into a very proffessional DVD when finished.

I also use DvdLab Pro for custom menu work, but it's not for the novice.

As far as preping his video, NVE 3 will do all the converting automatically to DVD compliant files. After he has done everything in NVE 3, then he can use those files in procoder, recode, shrink, etc. to compress and then burn to disc. His working menu and shows will all be ready to use in whatever app he chooses.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

You'll have to have a room warming party. LOL

From talking to you before, I realized NVE3 did quite a bit. I didn't realize how complete it was. So, with it, all kyle_101 has to do is find what he wants to insert for his chapters and go to work. Looks like he should have relied more on his Nero, rather than trying to process through encoding apps. So, now all he has to figure out is how many episodes to a disc, depending on the compression. I'd think about 7 to 8GB of episodic material to a DVD5, depending on the quality of the capture and the encoder. What size (GB)do you limit your TV projects to?

17. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Ok I have finally done it using NVE 3 and a lot of help so i just have to say a big thanks to everyone that gave me advice. Your help was invaluable.

Special thanks goes to:
    Nephilim
    bbmayo
    brobear
    bigorange
    And to anyone i left out...Thanks

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

kyle_101-Congrats!

brobear, for a fairly simple authoring app, I think NVE 3 is extremely versatile, especially with the import and custom features.

As far as size, I usually try to keep it the same as a normal DL disc, trying to stay in the 30%-40% compression range. So, your 7-8 gigs is about right. Sometimes I'll push it a little and use RB/CCE if I have a lot of episodes to do and want to cut down on discs. I can push it to about 50% compression that way.

BTW, I think a room warming sounds good,LOL :>)

I've been busting butt on it and hopefully in about 2 weeks she'll be done and I can get back to more serious stuff, like AD, and burning. Here's to HDTV home theater at 120"! Maybe I outta get a popcorn machine and sell tickets ;>)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  19. Nephilim

Yay! Even though I can only take credit for calling in the experts :)

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, well I don't know about the "expert" label, but when duty calls, and neph is on the phone, I come a runnin', after all, everyone knows how vengeful those mods can be when they get a burr in their saddle ;>)