1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using nero to back up media files onto DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by downfall2, Aug 23, 2003.

1. downfall2

downfall2 Member

I just bought a NEC ND-1100A and a pack of Fuji DVD+r's. I burned 3 discs which nero told me completed successfully before I noticed a problem. The video clips are all listed on the disc. But the videos do not match the file names anymore. Also the bigger files have multiple files merged inside of them now.

What could have possibly went wrong?
    I used Nero 6 and selected the DVD-ISO icon.
    Am I supposed to use this one to back up files. Or does my drive not support file backups for some reason?

There are other options like UDF and UDF/ISO. What are they for?

Thanks

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

UDF/ISO is the way to burn a DVD movie in Nero. make sure to have the files enclosed in a VIDEO_TS flder before burning

3. downfall2

downfall2 Member

So I should use UDF/ISO format and a VIDEO_TS directory for any movies? These are music video clips. I am backing them up on to dvd's for storage. I am not trying to make them play in a
    home dvd player. I just want them there to restore if I have a hard disk failure.

They are going onto the disk like this. example
    Videos\
    Chevelle.mpg
    Avril.mpg

etc....

The problem I am seeing is when it is done I can load chevelle.mpg and it isn't what the file is supposed to show anymore. It may be playing madonna.mpg instead. Then if I go to load avril.mpg it may contain both metallica.mpg and moby.mpg instead of what it should have. Then I have other files that are just plain corrupt.

All the files work fine before they go on the drive. This only happens when they are burned to the disk. If I copy them back to the hard drive they are still messed up.

Does anyone else have this problem. It looks like it only happens when all I put on the disk is videos. If I add .exe files and documents as well it seems to work correctly.

I cannot figure out what the problem could possibly be. I have tried both Fuji and TDK dvd+r media now. I now own $30 worth of silver coasters. Please help!! =)

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

If you dont want them to play in a DVD player, then just burn them as data in Nero.

5. downfall2

downfall2 Member

By burn as data do you mean just select the dvd-rom (ISO) option?

That is what I have been doing without any luck.
    I thought maybe there was some settings I may have wrong or something. I just think it is odd that it corrupts every file on the discs.

Should I have my file length name set to ISO1 or ISO 2 standards? I should be able to use joliet just like when I burn CD's correct?

Maybe it's just nero. What other programs can I use to just copy the files I want to dvd.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003