1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Nero Vision Express to burn avi. with srt subtitles?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by retrophan, Dec 24, 2005.

1. retrophan

retrophan Member

hi im very new to this board, and i was wondering how i can i burn this avi. video i have with .srt. subtitles. IM tryint to use nero vision express. Is there any way for me to input the subtitles into the movie and burn it? any help will do. thanks in advance.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

To just burn you don't need NVE, you can just use burning rom. To convert with subs using NVE you would have to hard encode since I don't think it supports subtitles streams.

3. retrophan

retrophan Member

by hard encode what do you mean? im very new to this. thanks.

4. hkm

hkm Guest

To retrophan:

"Hard coded" simply means you will always see the subtitles and can't switch them off they're burned into the video -- "switchable" meaning you can turn them on or off.

5. retrophan

retrophan Member

^ thanks for the response. ok im ready for the hard encode than. any special softwares i should use? thanks

6. hkm

hkm Guest

To retrophan: nope, nothing else needed. Like the OP said, no need to use NVE - just regular Nero should do the trick. Just be SURE that the video file & the SRT subtitle file have **exactly** the same base name, capitalized exactly the same, and in the same folder [good to keep everything else out of this folder as well.]

Example:

MyMovie.AVI
    MyMovie.SRT

If you had named your SRT as say My-Movie.SRT many apps wouldn't recognize it.

Also you'll need to select the output format - I'm assuming you'll be doing a DVD to play on most standalone DVD players? If so, Nero will guide you thru this process. Otherwise, you could create an SDVCD assuming you'd want this, meaning if the video is short enough it'll fit onto a standard CD (700meg).

IF your movie is longer than a standard DVD format [just under 4.7 gigs] Nero will warn you if you want to "shrink to fit." Nero doesn't always do the best job of shrinking, but it's usually good enough for most uses.

Finally, if the AVI video is PAL and you want NTSC, Nero will also warn you about this [again, it doesn't always do a good job of format conversion, but it's good enough for most general purposed].

If you're not sure what you're doing, I always recommend buying a few re-writeable DVD's [DVD-RW] -- only a bit more than DVD-R which can't be re-used. This way you won't be cursing yourself out if the first burn doesn't come out exactly the way you want.

Play around with the settings in Nero if you want, and you can also create some pretty nice basic menus, buttons, additional screen, etc.

Hope this helps!

7. ja4220

ja4220 Member

I am also trying to put an avi file srt subtitles on to dvd and tried using Nero Burning rom as suggested however it wont let me drop the file in?
    says avi and srt cannot reside in the video ts folder and I need to reencode with nero vision..
    What am I doing wrong? Please help me :)

8. hkm

hkm Guest

I'm just guessing here, since it's been some time since I've used Nero for subtitle burning. I defer to others here who have had this specific problem.

That being said, it sounds to me like Nero doesn't like your non-DVD video structure files being it the "proprietary" VIDEO_TS folder. This folder typically ONLY contains your *.VOB [the video files], the *.IFO and *.BUP files [IFO is DVD-specific info that tells your burner/DVD player how to interpret the files, and the BUP are simply backups of those IFO's].

Sooo, my best guess would be that Nero doesn't want your AVI & subtitles in this folder, since it will be using it as a temp location for the above-mentioned files only that it will later burn to DVD. What I'd suggest doing is simply moving your AVI and subtitle files to another folder, and leaving the VIDEO_TS folder alone for Nero or whatever app to use.

Of course, if you have other files in this folder, they'll have to be moved out as well.

Otherwise, you could always try just renaming this folder, unless it's where you've told Nero, or any other DVD authoring apps, burners, etc. to place temp files here before burning to DVD.

If unsure, like I said, simply move the files elsewhere.

Does this work for you?

9. jazzbiker

jazzbiker Member

I'm having the same problem. I've got an avi file and an srt file and I want to burn the video to a dvd with subtitles on it. Don't care if they're hardcoded. But I tried using Nero and NVE and neither did the job. I don't know enough of this to figure it out and I need step by step EASY instructions. So far I've been through a dozen different websites and only gotten more confused. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

JB

10. BiggsD

BiggsD Member

Its just as you said jazzbiker, looking for help for these things on the web just makes things more and more confusing.

I'm also having the same problem only made worse by the fact my video is a matroska file with multiple soundtracks as well as a subtitle track.

I swear nothing makes things more difficult and annoying for converting video to dvd than having .mkv or .ogm files. They're great converting from a dvd as you can preserve all the tracks and the ability to switch between them just like if you are watching a dvd, but trying to turn one of them into a dvd is a nightmare. And its so stupid because they support multiple sound and subtitle tracks and thats also what dvds tend to have so you'd think some dvd authoring software would have been made by now that'd just takes one look at such a file, sees all the nice tracks it has, and just make a bloody dvd using all the soundtracks and subtitles already.

People need to stop using these file types unless dvd authoring software starts supporting them. And all the ppl who claim to be anime fans but somehow can't deal with japanese audio and hard subbed subtitles in their video files and just have to have the option for crappy english voice tracks for which these container formats are primarily used for can all go jump in a lake. They create too many problems.

Nero Vision will convert these files fine although it only uses the default soundtrack but that's ok I don't really care about that... I just want my subtitles and that it just won't do.

I've found that if I use MKVextract to extract the subtitle track I can use DVDSanta to make dvds with subtitles because it actually has a place that lets you add the subtitle files and the current version of it supports both .srt and .sub subtitle files. It just won't read them out of a .mkv file so if you're cursed as I am and have to deal with them then you have to extract the .srt file out so you can use it. Too bad that software sucks as far as making decent dvd menus and such but it supports subtitles and I haven't been able to find anything better that does despite a great deal of time looking around the web.

Anyway, for those ppl who just have a normal .avi file and a .srt file that's what I'd suggest you do is try using DVDSanta because i've created dvds with subtitles with it.

My problem right now tho is that when I tried to do that with the .mkv file I'm currently working with, it wouldn't work because the audio tracks are in ACC-LCSBR format which DVDSanta doesn't support. Nero does support it, but of course then we come back to the same old problem: subtitles.

I thought I might have come up with a way around it by using MKVextract to extract the audio file, then using nero wave editor to convert it to another audio format that does work with DVDSanta and then putting the audio and video tracks back together with mkvmerge and encoding to dvd with DVDSanta so I could add the subtitle track but the result had very badly garbled audio so I guess for some reason that doesn't work. It did have subtitles though :p

Nero Vision handles the audio and video fine and in most respects is a very good software, I just wish there was some way to add subtitles using it.

Can anyone suggest any other programs that support .srt files since DVDSanta won't use the audio format in my file? Or if you really can just use nero burning rom to hard encode the subtitles can someone post step by step instructions because just like everyone else on this thread I can't get it to work. Is there any video editing software we could use to hard encode subtitles into the video before using nero to create a dvd? Preferably something with a nice simple menu and not a thousand screwy command line options and wonky frontend gui apps with esoteric settings.

Much Thanx for any help.

11. han86a

han86a Member

Try VSO DivxtoDVD, vso will convert avi to vob format. I was over 50 movies downloaded and now all movies copied into DVD disk with subtitles.(.srt)
    Also, VSO automatically insert chapters.
    Do not use Nero(doesn't support subtitles).
    You can find out your movie's subtitles here:
    http://subtitles.images.o2.cz/

12. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

To add subs to an AVI file i use The Film Machine. The reason beeing that this is the only app that actualy keeps the same quality of the source file...

My 2 cents...

13. nitroxguy

nitroxguy Member

hi
    i am trying to add subtitles to the dvd seven swords. i have tried using nero burning rom but when you play the dvd it doesnt have any of the subtitles and i tried to use dvd santa, which works but when its to 5 minutes of the film it just stops. so i have about 5 minutes work of dvd with subtitles.
    does anyone know how to hard code using nero 7

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  14. keen3h

keen3h Guest

umm get a dvd reauthur and then you can just reauthur it after you've encoded with Nero vision. I use TMPEGENC and it does it in like 10minutes after encoding the movie. Since all over dvd encoders have bad playback.

15. baon2219

baon2219 Guest

to nitroxguy, i hardcoded before using this easy tutorial guide. it's very simple and quick too.

go to: http://d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22455

there, there is a guide for:

Adding Permanent Subtitles (hardcoding subtitles to video)
    Using Nero to Burn DVDs

hope that helps.

ps, i read from the nero webpage that nero 6 does not support soft-subtitles. however, there is a program that you can download to burn video with softsub using avisynch or something like that. i dont remeber. go to videohelp.com for more.