1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Nero's Digital Audio CD option....

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by asscore, Jun 28, 2004.

1. asscore

asscore Guest

will this take standard wav/mp3/ogg and re-encode them to a 5.1 channel dolby digital track, playable on most standard dvd players?
    or does this take wav/mp3/ogg and re-encode them to a 2 or 3 channel dolby digital track?
    or do you have to have a ac3 or other digital audio file, and nero will burn it to a cd in some way so that it will play on a standard dvd player?
    or do I have this all wrong, and it does something else all together?!?
    I have found little or no documentation from ahead, in my manuals, etc.

what I am trying to do is find an easy way to convert my music collection to dolby digital for playback on my home theatre (kinda like jury-rigged super audio cd's)

If this wont do it do any of you know any good software to encode stereo audio into Pro Logic 2(4 channel) and then encode that into dolby digital (with monoaural rear channnels.... or rear channels that's stereo is controlled by the current balance of the front channels), and the LFE just taken from the low freq of all of the channels of the original recording? Or can you do this without first encoding into PL2?
    Am I over complicating this? help!

i originally posted this in the regular audio forum... realised my mistake... sorry if you've read this twice!

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I do not own Nero, but I think it is extremely unlikely that it will include any kind of Dolby Digital Encoders.

To create Audio for DVD, first you need to decide what one of the DVD formats you wish to use. DVDV or DVDA.
    DVDV uses either Dolby Digital or DTS for multichannel audio, and either PCM or Dolby Digital for Stereo.
    DTS is optional, and not supported by the majority of Authoring applications on PC (Boo).

PAL DVDV will support DD(AC3), PCM & MPEG Audio, although NOT MP3.
    NTSC DVD is Strictly DD or PCM only. All are at a samplerate of 48KHz. In some rare cases you can author to 96KHz, but a lot of players will downsample this to 48K anyway, so to be honest you are better off staying at 48K and avoiding any resampling.

DVDA uses uncompressed PCM audio, or MLP encoded audio. This is a lossless compression, and is designed to reduce both the bitrate & filesizes. On average, it drops around 45-50% of the original file size. It will also take any samplerate from 44.1 - 96KHz in Surround, and up to 192 in stereo.

If you want to go the DVDV route, your honest best bet is to download a 30 day version of Adobe's EncoreDVD. This will allow you to import any compatible Audio file. WAV, even MP3, Dolby Digital, AIFF, MPG (MPEG-2), MOV or WMA.
    It will then automatically turn them into the correct type for your disc. For high quality, leave a 16/48 WAV as it is, for more on the disc, turn it into Dolby Digital at a bitrate of 192 for stereo.
    It will accept Surround/multichannel AC3 (Dolby Digital) files with no issues at all.
    I do not know if it will take a multichannel WAV - I have never tried. I doubt it though.
    You will be able to create all your menus, create playlists, do everything necessary to get your finished product onto DVD.
    BTW - If you use stereo Dolby Digital, you can get up to 60 albums per disc. Easily.
    You are allowed up to 99 timelines, and each timeline could be a full album.

To go on to your other point, re encoding into Surround from Stereo is not particularly easy and definitely not for the faint hearted. It can be done with various combinations of shareware/freeware, but unless you get it absolutely right it will go wrong.

Have a good think about just what you want to try & do, write back & I will try & help you do it.

LOL

3. asscore

asscore Guest

i probobly should've mentioned, that i have a phillips dvp642 dvd player, which will play divx,xvid,mp4,mpeg 1 and 2. so, upon reconsideration,
    If I could take a audio file(wav, flac, etc.) convert it to DD.... (will any of the encoders out there make a decent 5 channel mix from a stereo or pl2 encoded mix?) then take that DD track and affix it to a blank video?!? (is this possible?)encoded into divx. I have experience using virtualdubmod and gordian knot.... but only for making backups, I've never had to insert my own video or anything like that. I dont suppose theres an option in GK to fill a movie with black space for the duration of an audio file??

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Try the video forums.
    There is no magic "make it surround" button. There are a series of steps that can be taken, but you need to know exactly what you are doing with an app called Plogue Bidule.
    Failing that you need a high quality multitrack sequencer & a lot of know how.
    Even then, for an exoisting stereo track, RePurposing - which is what you are talking about - works better in some cases than others.

As for the video questions, I don't have the foggiest idea.

LOL