1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using NETGEAR WG111 to share Net - possible???

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ptwenty, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ptwenty

ptwenty Guest

Hi guys, I've done a bit of searching and can't find anyone with the same issue as me.

I have a Netgear Wireless dongle thingy WG111 v2.

My question is this:

Can I plug my USB wireless dongle into the back of my PC, and use it as a wireless access point for my laptop - which I will use in the same room???

The PC is on the net via ethernet cable from a downstairs router (not a wireless one)

It means I don't have to install new cables etc to get the Net on my laptop (which has built in wireless)

thanks in advance

ptwenty

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i presume your router is not wireless? that netgear, is it just a receiver & not a transmitter?

3. ptwenty

ptwenty Guest

The router is not a wireless one,no.

The Netgear WG111 v2 is a USB dongle that allows me to connect to a wireless network that's nearby. I have used it when in different locations to use other (unsecured)net connections for free.

It must be able to transmit and receive to talk to a wireless router, so I just wondered if I could use it to re-transmit from my bedroom PC to my bedside laptop.

I'm sure MacGuyver would have been able to make it happen someway or another.

thanks in advance for anybody that can help me solve this

ptwenty