1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using New HDTV As Monitor

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Creddly, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Creddly

Creddly Guest

I've just purchased this HDTV and it's on it's way back to me;
    http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...w_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=TVP+LCD+TV

I have a couple of questions if that's okay!

1) Can I connect both my PC and PS3 and alternate between using them without having to swap cables at the back and mess about every time I want to switch usage?

2)
    a) I'm not too bothered about HD quality for my PC and the HDTV says it has a standard 15pin D-Sub + Audio port. So basically, would a standard PC monitor cable do?

b) Also, will one come with the TV?

c) And finally, is the HD going to waste if I'm just using a standard PC cable because I do play some games on my PC? Can anyone advise the best cable to get to connect my PC with the HDTV based on it's available ports?

If you need any help on what ports the HDTV has, I've stripped the info and put it on a picture to make it easier for you.

Here you go; http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1741/connectionsun0.png

Thanks in advance!

Any help would be great thanks!

2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yes, you should use your HDMI port for your PS3 for the best quality, and then you will use your PC input for your computer.

Yes a standard monitor cable should do. You could have used DVI if your TV and computer had that. But I think it just has HDMI and you will be using that for your PS3. I don't notice much if any difference between standard PC input and DVI to tell you the truth. A standard monitor cable will do.

I don't think a monitor cable will come with the TV but you should be able to get one decently cheap at an electronics store.

No, if your graphics card will support resolutions for the games you want to play that are 768p or higher that will be HD. As I said before you could use DVI if your computer and TV had that but your TV doesn't. It has an HDMI port, so you could use a DVI to HDMI cable, but your alread using your HDMI port for your PS3. I don't think you will notice and difference in DVI and a standard monitor cable. I would use a standard monitor cable. It will support HD resolutions that are deffinatly high enough for your TV. The only thing you would notice a difference in between DVI and a standard monitor cable is that DVI supports HDCP (High Deffinition Copy Protection). If you tried to watch HDCP content such as HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies they would be downconverted if you were using a standard monitor cable. But with DVI it would show them in their full resolution because it supports HDCP.

If you had any trouble comprehending any of that information just let me know if it was confusing and I will try to explain it better.

3. Creddly

Creddly Guest

Cheers mate!

Thank you for your response!

I will look into all of the above steps!

Very kind of you to respond!

Thank you

4. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

you will get a higher res. if you can output via DVI and connect this to a HDMI connector. as you can only get pixel to pixel via HDMI. on VGA it will get scalled.

so you may want to get a model with 2 HDMI inputs or get a HDMI switcher.

but I have my laptop connected via VGA and that works fine. get a great picture. can read text fine, but don't get widescreen, maybe my GFX card or monitor driver.

You may want to check with your TV to see if it has a option on the VGA for Text and Games/Graphics.

Anyone have any widesceen TV monitor drivers for a PC ??

and PS3 via HDMI and SKY-HD via HDMI.