1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using old speakers with new devices

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by speakers, Apr 27, 2007.

1. speakers

speakers Member

look at signature...

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Why have you put your question in your signature? That means that it will appear in every post you make until you edit it.

You cannot hook up speakers like you describe to an mp3 player or Ipod directly. They take too much power. You won't hear anything. You need a device called an "amplifier".

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hey Speakers, welcome to afterdawn. A lot of nice people, smart people here to learn from. Indochine is right. The red wire is positive, the black is negative but you won't even hear the tiny bit of audio power produced by the mp3 or Ipod. You need an amplifier. That is why they make those Ipod docking/amplification units like you see advertised on TV.

4. speakers

speakers Member

sorry about the sig i just figured there might be away to hook it up because my cousin has some old big speakers and an old radio and hooked it up so that all we have to do is put a headphone jack that's somehow connected to either the speakers or radio into his ipod and we listen to it. i guess i'll go to his house and see if i can't find anything out about it

5. speakers

speakers Member

I also found an old TV that says it was manufactured in 1986 it's average size it must be at least a 27".
    i have my PSone hooked up to it because we never use it anymore, anyway i looked on the back of it and i can't figure out how to connect the speakers to it.
    all i see on the back is those red/white audio ports and another thing that works like the red/yellow/white cords we use now-a-days except its in a box like shape.
    anyays i can connect my PS2 to that TV and i figured i could put a CD in it and play it. Is that possible? i think it should be since my parents bought the speakers (as a home theater system i guess you could call it,) at about the same time as that TV.