1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Pinnacle Studio 8

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by brergo, Nov 16, 2003.

1. brergo

brergo Member

I have Pinnacle Studio 8 and have used it to capture a lot of analog (8MM camcorder video). I am now in the market to purchase a DVD burner and have a couple of questions:
    1. Does anyone out there use Studio 8's "Make Disc" feature to burn completed work to DVD? If so, how is it and what settings are optimal?

2. What DVD format would be the best to use for this and how many minutes of video could be stored on a DVD?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

I use the make dvd. I do high quality for video. You can have up to 2hrs(I think) on a dvd.

I would use dvd-r for 2 reasons:
    1. They are more compatible than dvd+r.
    2. They are usually cheaper.
    You can bypass this a little by getting a dual format (+r/-r) burner which seems to be the trend. The pioneer a06 probably gets the best recommendations followed by the sony.

You should get a larger hard drive also.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

OH yes Yeudana....totally agree with you there....

I have just got into the DV world regarding camcorders etc and have used Pinnacle Version 8.8 on several occasions to render some dvd's.....

The -r will be more compatible especially if you will be making multiple copies for friends etc.......

I have a dual burner and both formats work well, but the +r CAN be a little twitchy in other standalones.....(this is just from what I have experienced with friends standalones)...

Yes 2 hrs is approx, but in pinnacle you can alter the data transfer/compression and fit more on....these are in the make video options in the dvd sections....you can get 3000Kb/sec minimum which gives you 124 mins of video....

And as Yeudana stated a larger HD is recommended....I just stuck in a 120Gb for JUST the pinnacle stuff so I can keep my captured AVI at MAX resolution and retain the quality....

But beware, if you are going to add more audio streams and transition effects, then the rendering process to MPEG2 can take a long time as it has to render each stream independently and sometimes has to make 3 or maybe 4 passes.....then it needs to make (author) it to dvd then burn....

I found the calculated filesize to be a little inaccurate so you would need to keep your eye on it.....

But I am still learning this, so the above maybe off the mark in places....

But I have to say this is a nice program to introduce you to DV and editing....

When I have this cracked I shall be giving Adobe Premier a go......but that is a little high for me until I get the gist of it.....

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you want to get More Video on a DVD then do not use Studio 8 to compress your files to Mpeg2/DVD...The encodeing Quality and efficiency of studio 8 is really Bad, You could get twice the Video on a DVD-R with the same or better Quality if you use a High Quality encoder as opposed to Pinnacles Low Quality encoder that comes with Studio 8...Cheers

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes I can concur with that (slightly) when you have your bitrates down to 3000Kb/sec it does show up.....but I wouldn't say it was extremly bad - but bearable......

Somethin I haven't tried is to run at the highest bitrate and resoultion, then make the dvd structure, then running it through a seperate compression proggie to see how it comes out....