1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Subrip

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by carlmart, Feb 6, 2006.

1. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

Is anyone familiar with the SubRip program?

I think I am doing things right when loading the VOB file to rip the subtitles, but it doesn't seem to do anything when I do. I mean it doesn't show anything happening, like a word running or anything like it.

How do I know it is ripping?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

It would start flashing if you just left it to remind you to enter a character for the current sub picture. If you don't see text and it doesn't flash after inactivity, then it isn't ripping.

So you press start and nothing happens? Even when you have forced subs enabled and are ripping a stream with none, you see the progress indicator run the length of the subs.

3. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

[bold]It would start flashing if you just left it to remind you to enter a character for the current sub picture. If you don't see text and it doesn't flash after inactivity, then it isn't ripping.

So you press start and nothing happens? Even when you have forced subs enabled and are ripping a stream with none, you see the progress indicator run the length of the subs. [/bold]

Well, I load the VOB file, the numbers run totalizing the numbers (time, number of legends, etc.) as well as the progress line, but all ends up quickly, nothing going on after that.

Do I need anything else loaded or resident in order for it to run?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Sounds like that is what is going on. Disable forced subs only or select the stream that contains them.

5. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

I've done this rip a different way this time, using VoBsub.

It's not too straightforward and you have to go through several steps, including a tiresome one that makes you identify several letters or symbols for the OCR process, but it worked OK.

Perhaps I will give Subrip a try some other time.

Now if I could find a good way to hard read some subs I have in some VHS films...

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

SubRip also uses OCR. Only way to get from bitmaps to text.