1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using TMPGEnc for Avi to DVD = no sound

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by k_h_d, Feb 11, 2007.

1. k_h_d

k_h_d Member

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I am following the guide located here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

When I use TMPGEnc to convert the AVI into a .mv2 and a .mp2 and then contiue the guide. I found that my DVD would have no sound.

I then went back and verified that I had the source of the audio set to the same as the video... (from the avi). I re-encoded from the AVI and still when I try to listen to the .mp2 file I have no sound.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,
    K

2. k_h_d

k_h_d Member

Also... I am setting the stream type to ES (Video+audio).

3. Induna

Induna Member

You need to encode the audio to mp2 using an audio encoder outside of TMPG.

Personally I use tooLame 0.2k. But there are plenty of others like BeSweet.

Basically go into TMPG options, then environmental setting> audio engine> where it says MPEG-1 audio layer II encoder select external then search for tooLame.exe

Next time to encode a dos prompt will show up, that's encoding the audio.

Also, I select system (video+audio) for stream type but each to their own.

4. Induna

Induna Member

Forgot to say, if you go down the BeSweet road get the BeSweetGUI as BeSweet is command line prompt only.

5. Induna

Induna Member

or BeLight :)

6. k_h_d

k_h_d Member

Thanks for the info. What if the Audio in the AVI is ac3? AVICodec says that its in AC3. Can I still use tooLame.exe with TMPGEnc?

Thanks,
    k

7. Induna

Induna Member

No, you have to convert the AC3 to WAV then encode the wav to mp2.

I use GoldWave, the reason is beacuse 99% of AC3 audio is very, very quiet. With GoldWave you can increase the volume to a reasonable level, then save as WAV file. You then load this for the audio source in TMPG. Load the avi in GoldWave and it will decompress the audio track to your hard drive, then select effect, then volume. You want the audio spikes to be no higher than 1.0 on the graph otherwise the audio will sound distorted. You can select specific parts of the audio track too. Sometime with avi files the mixing is bad, i.e the people talking are quiet yet the background sound, music ect is way too loud. There's no way to fix this other than boosting the volume of the quiet parts and leaving the loud bits. You'll know the loud bits as they will be huge spikes on the graph. You can preview by playing the track and undo any changes if you wish. Bare in mind an extracted track can be 1.5GB temp space and twice if you change the volume so make sure GoldWave has plenty of space. Go to options , then storage then choose a drive that has at least 3GB space.

You can load any audio into Goldwave and edit it to how you want. I use it for quiet avi's with mp3 audio too. It's a cool app. TMPG can boost the audio by 400 but sometimes this isn't enough. GoldWave can boost it 1000%, (10X) then boost it again if you wish. 200% will double the volume,

BeSweet can convert AC3 to WAV and then to MP2 on it's own (instead of using two apps like me) but I'm not too familiar with this app so you'll have to ask someone else about this.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  8. Induna

Induna Member

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

9. dano79

dano79 Member

First of all, MP2 audio IS NOT DVD standard...AC3 IS audio standard. So, if you want to be completely sure that your DVD will play on all players, I'd go with AC3.

I use a program called AVICodec (free) to determine the characteristics of my AVI, including frame rate, sampling rate, aspect ratio, etc.

If your AVI has AC3 audio, you are in luck. Use VirtualDubMod. Open your AVI file. Under streams, select 'stream list'. Select your AVI and then click 'demux'. If your AVI had a sampling rate of 48000, you need do nothing more. Your audio is ready for DVD authoring. If the sampling rate is 44100, you need to resample using SSRC.exe (I use the BeSweet GUI for this).

Otherwise, go into the environmental settings...VFAPI plugin and set the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader to the highest priority.

When you encode your video, save your audio as Linear PCM (WAV) format.

Use BeSweet to encode your audio into AC3 format (takes me less than 5 minutes).

You are now ready to author your DVD!

Good Luck

P.S. I don't recall having this problem when I used TMPGEnc, but I use another encoder now...if the framerate of the AVI is 25 fps, and I am encoding to 23.976 fps with pulldown, I select 'convert from 25000 to 23976' when converting to AC3.

10. Induna

Induna Member

Yes I tried this method in the past dano. But you still have to boost the audio in most if not all AC3 files. Also, what do you do when a film comes in two or three files?

Also, you can check any sync issues in TMPGenc with the method I use. In my experience about 85% need adjusting.

There's nothing wrong with using MP2 over AC3. Types of media/dye that a standalone DVD player can play is of more of concern than MP2 over AC3.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  11. dano79

dano79 Member

I have never boosted the sound on AC3 files. Yes, AC3 will sound quiet on your computer, but I have no problem hearing it on my television. (Even with commercial DVDs I find that I have to have the volume higher than 'normal')

I don't mess around with films that aren't in one file...too much hassle when you can normally find entire films

The method that I currently use does not give me audio/video sync issues. That's 0% that need adjusting, just to clarify.

Dano

12. Bigjawn

Bigjawn Member

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Bigjawn, open a separate tread, please.
    (aldaco12)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007