1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using TMPGEnc to encode DivX file with AC3 audio - problems..

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Thrash75, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Thrash75

Thrash75 Member

Hello,

The problem is on this PC. I have a freshly installed WinXP system on it. The file I need to convert to VCD, is a DivX file with AC3 audio. The only two codec thingies I have installed myself, is "AC3Filter v0.70b" for the audio, and "DivX Pro v5.1" for the video.

All right, the file PLAYS perfectly fine. Perfect video, and perfect audio. But it will not behave in TMPGEnc. If I try to encode it with TMPGEnc, the system hangs for some time (10-13 mins), while there is constant HD activity. After this, it starts to encode. The end result is a VCD mpg file with NO audio. If I choose NOT to encode audio with it, it starts to encode immediatly (no hanging).

I have had this problem for a couple of days, and asked for help in newsgroups. People say, that TMPGEnc is NOT able to handle compressed audio. This should be the reason why TMPGEnc behaves as it does. This sounds okay to me, BUT (here comes the weird part)..

..I have another (much slower) PC here next to me, with same OS and same version of TMPGEnc. If I try to encode this EXACT SAME file there, the end result is perfect, and WITH audio. The system does not hang either, it starts encoding immediatly. This does not make sense to me, If TMPGEnc should not be able to do it...

I tried to open this DivX file in GSpot v2.21, on both PC's to see the DirectShow audio render path. And they are much different:

PC with encoding problem (this PC):

"(S) -> AVI Splitter -> AC3Filter -> (R)"

PC where encoding works fine (other PC):

"(S) -> AVI Splitter -> AC3 from AVI XForm -> AC3 Prologic Decoder -> Morgan Stream Switcher -> (R)"

Seems like the audio is processed a lot more on the PC where it works. Do these DS render paths have something to do with this?

What might I do to make it work on this PC? Anybody else experienced any of this?

Thank you so much in advance for help.__X_X_X_X_X_[small]- Brian[/small]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  2. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

I never could get tmpgenc to handle ac3 audio at all, the solution i use is to remove the audio from the video with virtualdub then convert the audio with headac3he before loading it into tmpgenc, theres a guide on this here http://www.fixitsguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ac3audio.htm
    as for why it works ok on your other machine i have no idea your just lucky i guess :)

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Nope...There is Now a new AC3 Filter that can be used to Decode AC3 in AVI files useing tmpgenc, I do not have a Link to it But if anyone wants it they can e-mail me and I"ll send it to them...this New Filter can also be used in other programs that usually can not decode AC3...Cheers

4. Thrash75

Thrash75 Member

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I wouldnt trust TMPGEnc with AC3 audio EVER!! I dont even trust it with mp3 audio unless im using tooLame as an external audio encoder and SSRC as an external frequency convertor! I think its best to do the audio encoding with BeSweet!