Question Using USB 3.0 To Connect To TV?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by BenTedds42, Apr 4, 2016.

1. BenTedds42

BenTedds42 Newbie

Due to budgetary issues, I can't afford to buy a 3D TV/Blu-ray player. Luckily, I have a different solution, as my laptop has a BD-ROM drive, and also has CyberLink PowerDVD 13, which allows me to live-convert Blu-ray 3Ds to anaglyph red/cyan, meaning I'm able to watch 3D movies on my laptop.

However, as you can probably tell, this is rather impractical. So, I tried connecting up my laptop to my TV via HDMI. Though the picture is crystal-clear, the sound is far from. The HDMI cable is only outputting in 2.0 Stereo, meaning that my poor 5.1 surround sound system is being abused by a cluttered and distorted downscaled sound mix.

Basically, a DVD player acts as the hub for the surround sound. My TV is sort-of a bypass, as all sound outputs go through the TV, then to the DVD player, then out through the 6-channel setup.

To put this in perspective: Blu-ray Player --> HDMI Cable --> TV --> HDMI Cable --> DVD Player --> Surround Speakers

Doing some research, I've concluded that my best option to solve the problem is to use a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter, which should allow me to output multi-channel audio and the visual feed to the television at the same time. But, before I go about ordering the equipment, I'd like the community's opinion - would this work?

repairmyphone likes this.
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does your laptop have usb 3 in it?

3. BenTedds42

BenTedds42 Newbie

Yep.

1 x USB 3.0
    2 x USB 2.0
    1 x Mini VGA
    1 x HDMI

If that helps at all.

4. ddp

are you using a mac laptop because of the mini vga?

5. BenTedds42

BenTedds42 Newbie

Nope, an Asus K55A.

6. ddp

hdmi already does multi-channels for both sound & video. what is the purpose of the dvd player in your setup above?

7. BenTedds42

BenTedds42 Newbie

The computer's HDMI port does not output multi-channel audio. I suspect it might have something to do with the soundcard, but that's why I'm looking for other possible solutions.

The DVD player acts as a passthrough for all audio feeds from any devices connected to the TV. So, for example, it splits up every channel from an audio input (e.g. a Blu-ray coming from the Blu-ray player) then sends each one to its necessary speaker.

8. ddp

you have a realtek soundcard, don't you? which version of realtek do you have?
    hdmi supports up to 8 channels. http://www.axiomaudio.com/hdmi
    Q. Does HDMI support Dolby 5.1 audio and high-resolution audio formats?
    Yes. From the start, HDMI was defined to carry 8-channels, of 192kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio, which exceeds all current consumer media formats. In addition, HDMI can carry any flavor of compressed audio format such as Dolby or DTS. (Such compressed formats are the only multi-channel or high-resolution audio formats that can be carried across the older S/PDIF or AES/EBU interfaces.) Additionally, most existing HDMI sources can output any compressed stream, and the newer sources can output uncompressed 6-channel, 96kHz audio from a DVD-Audio disk. There are A/V receivers on the market that can accept and process the 6- or 8-channel audio from HDMI.
    http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx?c=11
    do you have a ps3?

9. BenTedds42

BenTedds42 Newbie

Thank you for your clarification, however, allow me to reiterate: my computer only outputs 2.0 Stereo through its HDMI port. My research has lead me to believe this is something to do with the soundcard.
    I discovered this via two means: First, the Day Of The Doctor Blu-ray release is infamous for its issues with playing through stereo setups, with distorted audio and echoes that would not be heard when played through 5.1. When I connect my laptop to my TV, it's quite obvious it's outputting in stereo because if I play The Day Of The Doctor Blu-ray 3D, I get the downconverted mix.
    Second, the Sound centre on control panel tells me I'm outputting in stereo, and does not have a test speakers option for any setup with channel number higher than that of stereo.

Ergo, I cannot use the HDMI port to output the sound correctly; only the video.

10. ddp

what does it show for sound cards in device manager?

11. BenTedds42

BenTedds42 Newbie

Intell(R) Display Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio.

12. ddp

go into sound in control panel, high lite speaker realtek to see if can access the configure button on bottom left corner.

13. BenTedds42

BenTedds42 Newbie

No can do; it's greyed out.

14. BenTedds42

BenTedds42 Newbie

TV42.
    However, this is what I'm currently seeing in regards to the TV's properties.

15. ddp

is the Realtek High Definition Audio set as the default?

16. cactikid

cactikid Active member

curious if something like chromecast will send info from laptop to tv for him?