1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using VirtualDub

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by LtJaymz, Sep 3, 2007.

1. LtJaymz

LtJaymz Member

Im a newbie to all this and I have been trying to put hard subs to my .avi files, so that I then could convert and burn to DVD. I have followed the instructions in the guide http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/adding_subs_to_avi.cfm
    which uses VirtualDub.

But when it comes down to selecting the compression in VirtualDub there is no XviD Mpeg-4 Codec to choose from the list, as in the guide. What needs to be done, or is there any easier way to put .srt or .ssa subtitles to an .avi file and then burn to DVD?

2. LordLiono

LordLiono Member

ya im sorta having the same problem too with adding subs to avi with virtualdub, so after i saw ur post i went looking and i found the
    Xvid Mpeg-4 Codec on this site

make sure u exit VirtualDub if you have it open then open it again and the codec should show up on the list.

3. LtJaymz

LtJaymz Member

Thx for the hint, I kinda solved the problem, cuz I tried some other programs while waiting for a response, and think I got the codec when installing AVI Recomp, so now it all works just fine! Definetly the easiest way for me to put subs to .avi. To all that read this: Im using the guide mentioned above to make DVDs of my .avi files. SRTtoSSA,Subtitler(plugin for VirtualDub)and VirtualDub for the subtitles and then convert with DivxToDVD, burning with Nero.