1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UV light placement

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rubixcube, Oct 1, 2007.

1. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Hey guys,

I just bought an antec nine hundred case, and loads and loads of UV reactive cables, molex plugs, cable sleeving, fans etc. Lots of stuff inside my case is now UV reactive, but I am stuck on where I should put my two 30cm UV tubes for maximum effectiveness. As most of you should know, the PSU is bottom mount, so that rules the case floor out, and there is a giant fan on the top (which is not impossible to work around, but I'd rather not tempt fate). Any ideas? Oh, if it helps/hinders, I also have the optional fan on the back of the HDD cage installed, so I can't run a tube down the side of the motherboard either.

Thanks heaps,

Rubixcube

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I own that case, where I put UV lights is at the bottom on the side (underneath the window) and on the top of the side (above the window). Make sure there's something for them to light up there!

3. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

so they will fit in the small space between the psu and the side of the case? thats nifty :) thanks. Don't happen to have a picture of yours by any chance?

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Sam you have a 900? You never told me that :)

But yeah, I have one too, and are you talking about cathodes? Because I just installed 2 into the 900, and it was pretty hard finding a spot for them. I am not to sure if I like where they are right now anyway...

5. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

yeah two 30cm cathodes. these ones:-
    http://pccasegear.com.au/prod620.htm
    I'm hoping that I can find somewhere where the light will fill the case, because as I said everything is UV reactive. Where did you put yours and how did it go?

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Ok, kinda hard to explain, but I put one up in the top part, before the huge fan and the side closest to the door, and so i just stuck one up their, and I put the 2nd one vertical on the metal part that has all the HDD cages in it and stuff in the front. I'll post some pics tomarrow.

7. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Cool, pics would be awesome. Thanks for your help man.

8. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

Haha yay i can join the 900 case club now..

Im gonna need advice as to where to place mine now (sound activated cathodes)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Never read my Specs list did you, Waymon? lol

If you're not into UV, or want something simpler, what looks ace in the 900 is getting Pure white cold cathode tubes, and placing them vertically. it turns the blue fans at the front into a blue/white spiral look and to me it looks great. I currently run the white cold cathodes in my main PC, however.

10. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

wow sam, just read the specs now. Man you have some good computers.

But anyways, all I have is a blue 17" cathode and another blue 15"

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

a 17 and 15? where do you find these? All I can ever find is 12"s...

12. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

oops, my bad, it is a 12 inch and a 15 inch... Sorry!

i'll get the pics posted asap, but I am not home at the moment so dont expect them anytime real soon.

13. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

That's cool, I can wait. Half my parts aren't here anyways. Edit: I decided to just have a play around... and I came up with this idea. Just wanted to know if it looks ok, or if you think it looks weird with them coming across the window.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7114/newimageyp9.jpg

Is that alright? Or pointing back the other way against the direction of the window? Or bad?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's no 'right or wrong', it's up to you as to what you think looks best, but the way I'd do it is have them horizontal, rather than diagonal, and further apart so the tubes themselves aren't visible.

15. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Originally I had one across the top of the window and one across the bottom, but I figured that the one on the bottom will get blocked out by the PSU (notice there isn't one in there at the moment) and the one at the top hits my rear exhaust fan when I try to put the side back on... So I started to get creative. But yes looking at it again it's kinda weird lol.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, I've had tubes set up like that before, the X shape kinda looks cool.

17. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yeah, I'm not realling fealing the cross cathode thing, I perfer to have them not visible like sammoris said. I just cant seem to find a place to put them so I can light up the major percentage of my case. I think I have them pretty well placed right now, I'll post some pics tommarow.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll be honest with you, I found it difficult with my 900. The power supply being at the bottom makes loads of sense cooling and noise-wise, but it's not really geared up for cold cathode placement. I think the last thing I did with mine before I moved most of my cold cathodes to my main PC was to have two white cold cathodes standing vertically.

19. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice look, I see you used the additional fan slot behind the hard drives. I found that unnecessary personally, but there we go.