1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v551 bluetooth problems

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by vze3nvki, Jan 30, 2005.

1. vze3nvki

vze3nvki Member

Hi everyone. I've tried searching around on the forums for an answer, but I can't seem to find one. So I will get to my question/problem:

I bought a Motorola V551 GSM phone yesterday, and I love it.
    I brought it home and started messing with the bluetooth settings; within a few minutes, I was able to connec to my phone via bluetooth and transfer files, communicate though my phone via my PC, and more.
    Then I must have changed something without noticing, but for the life of me, I can not connect to my phone.
    My bluetooth hub (The one that comes with the Logitech Cordless Elite for Bluetooth and MX900 Bluetooth Optical mouse) detects my phone and is able to pair with it.
    My problem occurs when I try to access my phone to transfer files ("OBEX File Transfer on Motorola Phone") or connect using hand-free communication ("Hands-Free voice gateway on Motorola Phone").

When I try to connect o my phone for the hands-free, after a few seconds (My phone will come out of stand-by/screensaver), I get a "The remove device closed the connection" error.

As for the file transfer, I get a "Error establishing connection" after roughly a minute after opening the link.

Any help would be awesome.
    Thank you in advance,
    Kyle.

2. charlesnu

charlesnu Member

I get the same error, but I am using BAFO bluetooth dongle. I had it working and I could FTP pictures off my phone, but no more. Now I just get the "error establishing connection" after attempting the OBEX File Transfer.

I am using a Widcomm driver and connecting to a Motorola V600.

3. jeremiahb

jeremiahb Member

I'm having the same problem too. I was even using Mobile Phone tools, just fine. I didn't change anything, it literally worked one day and not the next.
    Widcomm drivers (msi_bluetooth_software1.4.3.4) and a motorola v551.

4. vze3nvki

vze3nvki Member

Well, I tried accessing my phone again today, and it worked fine.
    I don't know what's up, but is it just me or is bluetooth crap?

5. charlesnu

charlesnu Member

I was able to get it working as well. I am not sure if this fixed it, but after I did this I could use FTP and have been able to ever since.

What I did was send via bluetooth something from the phone to the computer. I think it was a picture, I selected copy, then locate available devices. It found my computer (I have set my desktop to be pretty open about receiving anything from anyone via bluetooth). The image transferred right over and showed up in my bluetooth transfer folder. Then I tried the FTP connection again from the computer to the phone and it worked.

I am using a v600, so it might be a little different for you, but the software is probably the same for both phones.

Weird, but I am not complaining. I was going to buy mobile tools so I could sync outlook contacts and all, but now that I've found that I can use the object push to send them over one at a time, I am more or less ok as is. Plus, as the phonebook is so primative on these phones (not separating firstname/lastname, etc), I fear that syncing is a recipe for screwing up outlook. I also don't think that I will need ALL of my outlook contacts (mostly email only) on my phone.

6. jeremiahb

jeremiahb Member

Phone to computer worked, and that's all I really needed (for pictures). Thanks charlesnu.

Jeremiah

7. kjkjava

kjkjava Member

Hey, cool - my name is Kyle and I have a v551 and WIDCOMM drivers!

8. VCDmonger

VCDmonger Member

I've had my v551 for a couple weeks, and had Bluetooth working just fine right away. Two days ago it suddenly stopped working (got the "Error establishing connection" error), but I didn't have time to mess with it until now. Nothing I did worked, until I found this thread. I sent a picture from the phone to my laptop, and that fixed it!

Now I can use my BT connection like I could before. I guess this is the 'fix' for this issue. Thanks to everyone for their posts. BTW, I Googled <bluetooth "error establishing connection"> and this v551 thread was the first result (weird considering I didn't search for v551 at all)!

9. vze3nvki

vze3nvki Member

I didn't send anything from my phone to my PC to make it work.
    My guess is that the two lost some sort of sync between eachtother, and by sending a picture from the phone to the computer, or in my case, waiting over a week, fixed the problem.

Oh well.

10. tterrag

tterrag Guest

try taking your battery and sim card out, i know it sucks but it was the only thing that worked fo me

11. FESCSteve

FESCSteve Member

Switching the phone off and back on will usually (always for me) correct the problem. My V551 seems to forget it has bluetooth if left to sit for a few hours without bluetooth use.

Steve

12. WowDumb

WowDumb Member

Okay, I didn't wanna make a new thread for this so I'll just post here. I'm a noob when it comes to sending pix and all from my phone. Since the v551 is my first camera phone...I was wondering, how do I send pix from my phone to my pC? All I've managed to do is send pix to another phone threw multi-media messaging... which some people can't even see. I've been wondering how this bluetooth works. All I've heard about it is that it can work with a wireless headset. Other than that I'm clueless on these issues. Any help is appreciated. Thnx

13. cattaylor

cattaylor Member

You guys rock! I was having such issues with this and I just couldn't let it alone.

Thanks,

Cat

14. FESCSteve

FESCSteve Member

To send a photo to your PC - first make sure you are paired with it. Then go to your picture viewer on the V551 and highlight a photo, then press the menu button and select eiter move or copy. The it will show a list of the paired devices. Select your PC that you paird with and hit the select key and it will be sent to your bluetooth exchange folder in 'My Documents'

Works for videos too.

Steve

15. bhaley

bhaley Member

Does anyone know if you have to use the Motorola Bluetooth adapter to use the Mobile Phone tools on a V551? And where can you get the V551 skin for Mobile phone tools?

16. vze3nvki

vze3nvki Member

I haven't been able to use bluetooth with mobile phone tools, I use the bluetooth adapter that comes with the MX900 bluetooth logitech set.

17. cattaylor

cattaylor Member

Strange thing... when the Motorola HS820 bluetooth headset is paired with the V551, none of the ringtones will play. Well, they'll play, but you can't hear them. No mp3's, midi files, nothing, but the little beep tones. The sound from the video clips will play through, but none of the sound files. If you reboot the phone, they'll play, but as soon as you re-connect the headset, they're silent again. Anyone else go through this?

Cat

18. cattaylor

cattaylor Member

Oh great, I just found this on alt.cellular.motorola from silvers10:

"I have the same prob w/ my A630 and v3. From what I can gather from Motorola tech support, they disabled custom ringtones from being used when a bluetooth device is connected so that it would make the headset last longer. Apparently the ringtones would cause a significant decrease in headset battery life if enabled. This is the same reason you can't hear music over the headset when you are playing them on the phone's media player. Can we say STUPID. Come on Motorola, if we want battery life, we can disable it, you didn't need to make the decision for us!"

I am not happy about this after just spending a lot of time (and some money)setting up cool ringtones.

Cat

19. jburkey

jburkey Member

I have a v551 and i was attempting to transfer a ring tone from my computer to my phone using bluetooth (USB Dongle). Of course it did not work it would copy around 5,985 bytes then give me "the connection is lost" error. I have tried copying pictures (it worked) and then copying my ringtone to the phone which did not. I also tried turning the phone off and taking the battery out and sim card if anyone else has any success stories i sure would like to hear them.

20. simon6467

simon6467 Guest

Hi
    I got a v547 and it works an absolute treat but I think the problems here maybe the software that comes with your dongle. I used to use the bundled software that tecom supplied which I believe is the same product as belkin.
    I f your using software that opens in a window with things like obex push icons and things in the margin like my bluetooth neighbourhood then this is where your problems lie as I have found that this is the most sporadic junk I have ever put up with...in aword it is unstable. So I ditched that plugged the dongle in again XP picked it up and set everything up nicely. This is no nonsense software from ms and does not discriminate on times of the day or moon cylce whatever. I simply right click on the icon in the tray click whether I wish to send or receive a file the motorola is set to automatic pairing and hey presto job done all it asks the phone to do is accept the file. I have to say my 547 is the easiest BT device I've ever had on a phone. So use what MS bundled xp with a straight down the line piece of solid BT software.
    Hope that helps

Si