1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v551 bluetooth problems

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by vze3nvki, Jan 30, 2005.

1. tterrag

tterrag Guest

Thanks i'll try that ...but xp always tells me when installing bt provided software that microsoft has no registered drivers or something to that extent! my sony ericcson t616 was fool proof but this damn v551 is a nightmare

2. simon6467

simon6467 Guest

ah that confirms to me that you have the duff software that I described before.
    Ditch that open device manager and find the device serial standard over bluetooth link and delete.
    Then reboot plug in the dongle and XP should pick it up.
    Failing that click on the BT icon the smaller one if two and set up that way. I did have the two running together for a while that didn't cause in conflicts.
    Good luck my phone is a few models down from yours but is better with BT then actually making calls inside the house!!!!!!

3. xeonox

xeonox Regular member

I have a Trendnet bluetooth dongle and it works fine with mobile phone tools, im using mobile phone tools version 3.20f and the latest drivres for my dongle. I can transfer ringtons and pix.

4. bhaley

bhaley Member

Does anyone know if you have to use the Motorola Bluetooth adapter to use the Mobile Phone tools on a V551? And where can you get the V551 skin for Mobile phone tools?

5. xeonox

xeonox Regular member

you dont have to use bluetooth for the mobile phone tools, you can also use the infrared or usb data cable.

6. cj2235

cj2235 Member

I just got the phone as well and got a USB BT adaptor and have sent MP3's, pics, etc to my phone, but how do you send pics, etc to the computer from the phone? I can't seem to figure it out.

7. simon6467

simon6467 Guest

On my 547 if I find a file say a picture file I and then I press the centre multi function menu button scroll down to move and then it brings up a list of my devices in the object exchange folder. I select the name of my computer and then send it to it I have never had any problems doing this.
    Hope that helps

8. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

My story: I bought the V551, and promptly went out and picked up the Moto wireless headset and a Belkin 100m bluetooth dongle. The headset battery was dead, so I had to do the 2-hour charge before I could do anything. That eventually worked flawlessly... the point of this is the BT dongle story:

* I first just plopped the dongle into my USB hub. Windows recognized it, and said YES! you have a BT device, let me install drivers (rut roh...) (Had I read all the instructions... I would have first installed the belkin software, THEN plugged it in...). I tried to attach the file from Belkin that shows how to disable the Windows driver (for XP SP2 people only...), and how to change the Belkin driver from an "Appliance" to a "Device", but, it was too big. Please do a web search on "XPsp2_and_BT". I recommend that after all that's done, reboot.

* Next lesson: don't actually RUN the Belkin BT software, because it will install all sorts of drivers that will eventually conflict with the MPT proggie. If you did this, like I did, the easy answer is to revert back to the "appliance", let it reinstall the wrong drivers, then change it back to "device", reinstalling the drivers YET again ( I swear it feels like I did this several dozen times...)

* I had found various phone tool proggies out there, and was playing with a few of them, and pretty much settled down on the Mobile Phone Tools from Moto - I figured that this had the best chance to work properly. Well... as those of you who've done this before, the answer is "sort of"...

(EDIT: Please note that I bought this software <only> from Moto's website:
    http://motorola.handango.com/entert...javaDevice=V551
    and not directly through the maker, which was charging Euros (89E) for the same thing. There seems to be some confusion in other threads about which version is the right one for the V551. In the US, I recommend that you go this route if you already have a BT dongle.

Also note that you have to do a live update BEFORE you try to connect to your phone. So make sure it's off, run the program, and do a live uptade as many times as needed to make sure you're on the latest version! <end edit>

* The key to knowing if it's working right is that when the MPT proggie loads up, it asks you if you want to connect via USB, BT or infared. I'm on BT, and when I did this the dozen or so times prior to NOT running the belkin proggie, it would hang at that point. This time, I actually recognized, paired, bonded, and truly LOVED my mobile through the right program.....

* Within MPT, the phonebook works (it's slow, but it works) regardless of what set of drivers you use. It's the MMS that causes the "modem" icon to loose its connection, and you to pull your hair out. The solution (found elsewhere in this forum, and only after the right BT drivers are in place AND the Belkin BT software is NOT run) is to keep the MMS software up, and then turn off and on the phone. Voila! It works.

A few more lessons...

* Regarding multi-media, two more lessons.... you can edit music, video, and pictures in the respective programs quite easily, but don't use that program to actually send the file to your phone, because it doesn't use the right format, for some reason. Go to the first function, file transfer, and music comes over correctly (someone said that the sound editor somehow transfers it as a really bad MIDI...), pictures are found correctly, and presumably, so does the video, though I haven't tried that yet.

I hope this LONG message saves someone some of the grief I had!!!

I'm very happy that it works now, and that there are people out there that have shared their misery, so that some of us can make these things work...

(By the way, for ultimate cheese, I put "Kung fu fighting" as my ringtone...)

9. gijon

gijon Member

I have a V551 and have installed Blue Soliel software. I transferred a photo from my phone to the computer. It went into the "inbox" in my bluetooth folder. I placed some .gif files into the "outbox" to transfer to the phone. I clicked on the "Object Push Service" icon and it connected to my phone. I chose accept on the phone, but all that transferred was a business card. The .gif files did not transfer. I also tried using a jpeg, but still no success. Any ideas?

10. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

why dont u try to transfer them to the inbox instead the outbox, sometimes that happen to me and i just do that, and it works....

11. xeonox

xeonox Regular member

The easiest way to transfer files is with the MOTOROLA PHONE TOOLS, but the software is not nessesary to do it, as you can just go to the " OBEX File Transfer " and open up and transfer files from there.