1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Value of DVD-ROM book type?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cenozoite, Apr 5, 2005.

1. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

The literature that came with my new burner suggests that using the book type DVD-ROM for all discs to be burned is the universal solution to across-the-board compatibility, since it's the most recognized and accepted format by all players including older ones.

Is this true? Is DVD-ROM the fix-all format, or is there ever any reason to use a more regular format like DVD-R or DVD+R for write-once discs?

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

That is correct. Dvd-rom format will play in 99% of players with dvd-r coming in around 92% and dvd+r around 88%. Don't quote me on those figures but either way dvd-rom is most compatable, dvd-r is second, and dvd+r is third. Btw bitsetting will only work with dvd+r/rw media.

I booktype all my backups dvd-rom and am yet to find a player they won't play in. There are some set in their ways and will never concede that dvd-rom is more compatable than dvd-r. I get tired of trying to cnvince them otherwise, since they aren't even willing to try bitsetting.

3. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

Thanks for your reply; it's good to have confirmation of that claim. While we're on book types, is it a general rule that if a player will play DVD+RW discs okay, then it will be able to play DVD+R's as well?

Meaning, since +RW is a newer and more finnicky format, is it safe to assume that any player that can handle them can handle the "more compatible" regular +R's?

My Apex AD-1200 did successfully play a DVD+RW of mine, but refused to recognize a +R by the exact same company (memorex). I don't know if it's because I used Decrypter for one and Nero for the other, who knows.

Strangely, both play in my PS2 just fine!

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

There are very few here (if any) that will recommend memorex. Reason being, memorex doesn't make their own media. They farm it out to the lowest bidder at the time. There are some good company's that have made the media for memorex and some bad. I would stay away from memorex. You never know what you're going to get from batch to batch as you have apparently already discovered.

As long as you use good proven quality media, if your player will play a +rw it will play +r. Some good media available online would be Verbatum datalifeplus and Taiyo Yuden. Good retail store media is Maxell,Fuji, and usually Sony and TDK.

Use this free utility to find out the MID (manufacturers ID) on your +rw and +r and let me know who makes them. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

mort

where do you set yor dvdrom booktype?

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rotary,

I use lite-ons bitsetting utility since both my dvdrw's are currently lite-ons. I'm thinking about replacing my 451 with a new benq. The retail version comes with some pretty awsome software for bitsetting and speed swapping.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

do you use dvd decrytpter booktype setings for burn? the namker of the app uses liteon and there are more settings for his drive!

[​IMG]

in the past i used udf/iso in nero and make my own folder, i think thats the same as you can change udf and also has a force xbox compatiblity tab...

[​IMG]

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Wow Rotary,

Thats over my head. I just have the lite-on bitsetting utility booktype all my +r media dvdrom automatically. I don't even know what all those different settings do. I would probably just screw something up. You got one on me ole buddy.

9. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

Tried that utility:

The Memorex +RW that plays fine is made by Infodisc Technology Co.

while the Memorex +R that wouldn't play is made by CMC Magnetics Corp. Although once I burned that one as a DVD-ROM booktype it did play just fine. Very strange.

Also, I am going to try to grab some Riteks from a local store this weekend. So what is all this G04 stuff that I have to look for, to make sure it's genuine? Where is this marker or dye to be found and what does it look like? Can I see it through the spindle package before it's opened?

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If you want branded ritek ridatas, you will probably have to buy those online. The G04s and G05s are -r and can not be booktyped dvdrom. Ritek r03s are +r and descent media IMO. Some reputable online stores are supermediastore, rima, meritline, and newegg. Most have specials on branded ritek ridatas and some have free shipping.