1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Van Helsing killing me

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bozznia, Oct 22, 2004.

1. bozznia

bozznia Member

I've encountered a problem when I tried to back up the movie Van Helsing. I am using DVD Shrink 3.2. To do a full disk back up I don't have any problems. Full disk is showing 7,026 MB with no compression. On automatic compression it shows 4,464 MB with 49% compression on the entire Van Helsing movie. On the main movie it shows a 46.5% compression. Now here's the thing, when I reauthor the disk, using only the movie, not the menus, the extras, or the unreferenced material, and not any of the audio streams except for AC3-5.1 ch English, it runs into the red and and says that the file size will be 5,175 MB on automatic compression. The movie is 2 titles that are 2,587 MB each with automatic compression showing 43.5% on them and there's no adjustment on the compression. It's as low as it can go even if I use custom ratio. I cannot get the file size below 5,175 MB. If I use no compression on the two titles, then the total file size blossoms into 10,662 MB.

I've removed 2,500 MB of extras that I don't want from this movie, and the total file size increased from 7,026 MB to 10,662 MB with no compression. And it will not allow me to reauthor this movie and burn it because the file size increased to 5,175 MB and can not be decreased. In other words the movie is too big to fit on a desk after I reauthor it. Has anyone else had this problem with the Van Helsing.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi bozznia, 2 movie titles of the same size on one side of the dvd is usually 1 wide screen and 1 full screen version. I don't think you need both. Remove one title and start ripping the other version a little and see if you see a difference in the playback size. I don't understand why your size is getting bigger when you reauthor and remove items. Thats something I haven't seen in Shrink while reauthoring. Usually (not always) the first title is wide screen.

Jerry

3. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

I did the movie the same way you did. I set my ratio to 4300 (actually it read 4299) to keep it from the edge. I believe it compressed in the 70's. Plays and looks great.

4. bozznia

bozznia Member

Bigwop
    Did you see 2 movie titles when you recorded just the movie or 1 movie title? Also did you record both titles? I went ahead and record everything but you can tell the video suffered a little.

5. bozznia

bozznia Member

Jerry746
    I never had this happen with any movie I made with DVD Shrink. The original DVD never gave the option of watching it in full screen or wide screen in the movie's menu. I wish I had tried what you said about recording just 1 title to the hard drive and see if that was the complete movie, but I had already returned the movie.
    Thanks for the help.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Usually if both versions are on the same side of the dvd it does show up in the menu choices. Its strange that it didn't give you any option for this. It could be a different language version. I have seen that a few times where the disc had 2 full versions one english and one in another language like spanish or french.

Jerry

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm ripping the same movie right now and also noticed the 2 movie titles in reauthor mode. I previewed both in shrink and could not tell any difference between the two titles. Both in english and as far as I could tell same aspect ratio. Usually with two titles, one is full screen and one is widescreen, never seen anything like it before. I chose just to do full disc and check out results later.