1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Variable compression, any benefit?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by ericbee, Aug 24, 2003.

1. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

There are 2 options for compression on dvd2one, just wondering if one does a better job than the other or if there are any differences between variable and the other one. (can't remember the other one)

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Constant and variable are the two standards. Variable compression is quite a bit better thogh it takes longer. For variable compression to work, there needs to be a long analysis stage, ie, every frame has to be analysed so that the program can ascertain where to perform more compression and where to perform less.

3. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Sofar I only used constant compression.
    This one is better for longer movies.
    I used this one because the movies I backed up where mostly long movies.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I usually use Variable myself & haven't encountered any pixelation etc as yet.
    Longest movie done since DVD2One introduced Variable/Constant bitrate setting is two and a half hrs...no problems._X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I give you all these seed bearing plants & 'erbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2003
  5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Do you notice a difference in quality between variable and constant compression using DVD2One, since variale is meant to produce better results. Also, is there a greater time for performing compression using this method?

Cheers Herbsman ;->~

6. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

I use variable because it allegedly alters the compression in accordance to the scenes in the movie. i.e. if there is a huge action scene with lots of explosions it increases the bit rate to make it larger. When it is a relatively dark non-action scene it adjusts to use less.

I can't see how using a constant bit rate will improve the quality in a long movie as some long movies are quite action intensive.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It doesnt increase the bit rate to make it larger, it just doesnt compress it by as much as 'slow' scenes. Constant doesnt improve the quality, it merely takes less time to do.