1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Various Questions- New to this

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JVan15, Feb 2, 2007.

1. JVan15

JVan15 Member

I recently bought a DVD burner capable of creating the dual layer discs along with all other DVD formats. I have DVDFab Decrypter, DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink downloaded and DVD Cloner 4 as burning software.

I bought 3 dual layer DVD+R discs to test some things out. I tried to used the DVD-9 to DVD-9 feature in DVD cloner, it read the disc fine but recieved an error during the burn process. This happened twice and I believe the movies were "Sin City" and "The Illusionist".

I was excited after doing a lot of research and finally finding a burner at a good price. But now I'm kind of frusterated and afraid that I just blew over 100 dollars...

I guess a few specific questions would be...

Is it worth burning dual layer DVD's?
    If I have the programs listed, which order and process would you use?
    If the movie successfully decrypts, does that gurantee a good burn?

If you have any other advice, I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks a lot.

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Is it worth burning dual layer DVD's?
    Yes (sometimes)
    If I have the programs listed, which order and process would you use?
    Yes
    If the movie successfully decrypts, does that gurantee a good burn?
    No

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  3. biggun31

biggun31 Member

Ok here's my two cents.

Dual layer burning is worth it if you want to keep all the extras on the disc and not have to use any compression.(I find the extras boring).

Using the programs you listed i would suggest DVDFab to rip to the HD( i use dvd9 ripping then on to the next phase), then from there you could use shrink to bring the movie down to the size you need to fit on a disk.( using dvd9's you shouldn't need to alter the movie at all.)

Then the burn process..I don't use cloner 4 so ain't sure there but you could use something like imgburn(which is free) to burn the movies onto the disks.

And last but not least no just because a movie rips fine does it mean that your going to get a good burn. alot of things play into this section. media,programs,system...but using top grade media (most of the time anything made in japan) is good. But been having nice results with Fujiflim +'s.

Simple way is to hang out read up alittle and just try out different ways with different media. You'll find which way is best for you system and which media is better suited for your drive.

4. JVan15

JVan15 Member

Yeah when I tried to burn a couple dual layers the first time I allowed DVD Cloner to try and decrypt itself using their built in one. I'll give it a shot trying DVDFab.

Thanks alot for the tips, really appreciate it.

And does that imgburn free program have the capability to burn dual layer?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  5. biggun31

biggun31 Member

yes it has the ability to burn dual layer disk.

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

IMO, It is probably the best DL burning program out there.

7. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Most movies can be put on a SL disc with out much loss in playback a few movies are just outta reach without a DL disc But they are just a few of them, if you want a 100% backup then DL is what you will have to use But man that is gonna cost a lot of money Learn how to use DVD Shrink and save yourself a ton of money and use DL disc only when you have to. All my backups are on Verbatim DVDR- 16x SL 4.7 disc burnt at 4x speed and look as good as the store bought movie (i only backup the main movie only no extras or other crap thats on the disc, that saves a lot of room)

8. JVan15

JVan15 Member

Yeah those dual layer discs are killer. 3 packs are over 10 bucks. I figured out the decrypt followed by the shrinking but when I burn the ISO file I must screw something up. Maybe it's either the software or my Mad Dog Burner.

9. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Man if yor doing just movies SL disc at 13.99 for 50 blanks is they way to go use DVD Shrink and burn with DVD decrypter or Nero run AnyDVD in the background to get past the encryptions or use Ripit4me with FixVTS (free) AnyDVD cost 39.99 but its a great program, dont burn at max speed Mad Dog burners are to fast for movies burn at 4x or 8x for movies and the Brand of disc is Real inportant use Verbatin unless you can find disc that are made in Japan (they are hard to find)

10. JVan15

JVan15 Member

Yeah the good thing is I already have a 50 pack Verbatim single layer DVD+R to use. I'm thinking about purchasing that Any DVD program, heard mad good things about it. And correct if i'm wrong, you run ANY DVD in the background while you burn? And it acts as a decrypter so you do not have to use DVDFab or anything else?

I guess I'll just have to keep messing around and trying new things. These forums are great though, glad I found them.

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@JVan15

Burn The Verbatim +R DL discs (only ones to buy) and book type them to DVD-ROMs with Imgburn (free) and use them for the special long movies so they won't be compressed. Let it choose the best layer break. Verbatim DLs ONLY! Definitely try AnyDVD free trial with ImgBurn great combo. Once you try AnyDVD you will buy it.

LOCOENG's Abstraction
    Imgburn-
    http://www.imgburn.com

Guides:

Burning DVD Video files directly to double layer media with ImgBurn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

Creating a single layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1778

Creating a double layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777

ImgBurn Build Mode, An Overview
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1779

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  12. JVan15

JVan15 Member

Sweet I'll check out those guides.

If I didn't blow money on DVD cloner IV I'd go for Any DVD but I don't think I can get my money back. I mean, it got great reviews and thats why I went for it. And now I know about the free ImgBurn and the rest.

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I don't think DVD Cloner IV got great reviews here did it? Try the free trial anyway for AnyDVD and save up your pennies. Less than the cost of 2 DVDs.

14. JVan15

JVan15 Member

Unfortunately I found these forums after I got DVD cloner. So I probably got some garbage review. Had I known before I would have went with Any DVD and the free ImgBurn. My mistake, guess I'll have to save up some more.

While using any DVD with Imgburn, do you have to decrypt or convert any file? Or do you simply put in the DVD in one drive and burn it to the other with Any DVD running in the background?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If it's a single layer disc, yes. If it's a DL 9gb disc you have to run it thru neroRecode or Shrink or your clonerIV or cloneDVD2.