1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Various tests going on...

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Mar 20, 2005.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Not offended really :) I simply want always to make it clear that yes, we do fund our operations with ads, no matter how much our users might dislike ads in general and yes, we do want to test out various different ad placements and types, this being one, in order to maximize the revenue coming from the site :)

So, no offense, rather I'd like to thank everybody who expressed their thoughts, as feedback, whether positive or negative, is really the only way we can determine how our users experience our site.

2. kinza

kinza Regular member

I agree with zippyd. I don't like advertisements interfering with the thread, maybe it's because I use Firefox.

3. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I have no problems with the ads. Whenever I see a big open WHITE post I just ignore it as Im scrolling. Dont bother me at all.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yeah, i've got used to them now (shhh don't tell anyone i don't actually look at them at all!). i was just concerned originally that they might be virus-type things but i should have read the forum news!

5. Torrentf

Torrentf Guest

*I really do love spamming forums*

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2005
  6. dRD

Torrentf: Bye...

7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Some of them are interesting...well actually only one side is. The AfterDawn quick links. Everything else, just seems random and doesn't really have much meaning, with the exception of the Red Cross one, which is good. But the whole poltergeist thing...nah!

;)

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well if I had a website, what would I want my visitors to do?......

1. Click on my ads to start with. Google for example does pay by the click...if you get enough clicks.

2. Buy something from one of my advertisers.

3. Tell the advertiser where they saw the ad.

I did all of those things. I clicked on Extremepcgear's ad, shopped around a bit at their site and found a good deal on a Pioneer DVR-109 for $72.99+6.54 shipping. I ordered it and in the comments I told them that I saw their ad at Afterdawn.

I don't mind the ads if I am going to be able to get a good deal. They support my favorite place on the web and drd can afford gas for his jet. :)

Cheers,
    Frank

9. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

LOL! Must be nice to have that kind of money...wonder where he is today. Probably in the bahamas or something!

10. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey all, the new reply page, looks really cool!

;)

11. wild77

wild77 Guest

I don't mind the ads if it helps pay the Bills!

I usually click on one when I have had too many beers and have to go use the bathroom!

12. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Actually its kinda like TV commericals. After you seen it a few times, you tend to tune it out and thus it becomes transparent most of the time.

13. OAKside24

OAKside24 Regular member

"My opinion is: Keep the posts clear of ads. The ads at the top aren't bothersome because they don't interfere with the actual posts in the thread...I just don't feel that advertisements belong among the posts.

*Please don't hate me too much for being negative ;)"

I agree with this statement. I really do not enjoy these type of ads, it feels dirtier than those sneaky popunders...there's another! Grrr. :[

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've got used to them now (shhh don't tell anyone i don't look at them!), but still keep accidentally clicking on them. no big deal..
    they gotta earn their money somehow or we wouldn't be here discussing it i guess..

15. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

Ok Ok... I'll keep klicking the ads too if it helps keep this great site up.

16. bardie

bardie Regular member

And for my opinion, I don't really like these adds popping up in the middle of a post, maybe if it was smaller it might be better, but hey I know AD doesn't run on fresh air, but I think the advertisements should remain on the homepage.
    Anyway that's what I think for what its worth.

17. ShadyBase

ShadyBase Guest

Too bad i couldnt giv a damn coz ads on this site dont show up, coz i got Norton Internet Security 2005 and Ad aware Pro.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    MMAUAHAHAHAHAH

18. dRD

ShadyBase: So, you'd like all the sites that are free for users because they get funds from ads, to become fee-based sites, say $9.95 per month per site?

19. andmerr

andmerr Guest

if the adds dont work maybe a less dramatic response might be a one off payment by each member to AD for the sole purpose of helping to fund the site.I do believe that submissions incorporated this type of fee structure into there forum where members had to pay a one off payment of $25.oo.

20. andmerr

andmerr Guest

if the adds dont work maybe a less dramatic response might be a one off payment by each member to AD for the sole purpose of helping to fund the site.I do believe that submissions incorporated this type of fee structure into there forum where members had to pay a one off payment of $25.oo.Maybe its time the members put there money where there mouth is and help the site out.

where would you like the check sent to................