1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VC1 to MKV or MP4??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Boss_man1, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Boss_man1

Boss_man1 Member

Hey Guys!

I came across a VC1 file and Ripbot is not able to recognize it. What program can I used to encode to mkv or MP4? Thanks!

2. neronut

neronut Regular member

VC-1 is Microsoft's competitor to MPEG-4 Part-10/AVC. It is part of the Windows Media 9 line of codecs (WMV3) and can be a pain to deal with. One thing you can do is grap MeGUI with AVISynth and convert it using that. You will need DirectShow codecs that support your input format for audio and video. One of the best ways to get these is from ffdshow, which is ffmpeg. The k-lite Mega Codec Pack comes with the proper decoders for this.

For VC-1 you will need to use ffdshow's decoder as the MS one doesn't play nice with AVISynth. Here is a good guide on what to do: http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/MeGUI_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page1.html they also mention about VC-1 in setting up the codec.

Hope this helps.

3. Boss_man1

Boss_man1 Member

Thanks for the reply nero..

I actually figured out how to encode. I uninstall everything (avisynth,ffdshow,haali media splitter) reboot and installed everything again. Then Configure ffdshow video setting: VC1 to WMV9 and used Ribot to encode. A pop up came up asking if I wanted to used ffdshow and I selected "this time only"...

4. neronut

neronut Regular member

Your Welcome. Hopefully the encoding went smooth. I know VC-1 caused me some headache in the past. Its not my favourite HD codec but it sure beats MPEG-2 anyday :)

5. hatetea58

hatetea58 Guest

Yeah, VC-1 is really very annoying, and also caused me some headache for some time. Your method seems great. very useful for me.