1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VC220, MPT 3.11h .... Confusion

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by bobby1957, Dec 16, 2004.

1. bobby1957

bobby1957 Member

I have installed MPT 3.11h and followed the instructions during the install. I have read that I may want to select where the program "looks" for the correct driver. It never asks, just tells me to connect the USB and things will be auto-detected. After a few minutes (5 or so) that box with the clock goes away and a phone skins appears (not V220 tho). In the display of this skin it says initializing...
    and never does anything else. I am using Win2K at work and Win XP SP2 at home, same results. Any insight? Anyone? Been trying to get this working for a week with no progress. Thanks!!

2. jevfro

jevfro Member

same problem here. did u ever find a fix?

3. CdSlc

CdSlc Member

Search the forum and you will find lots of posts with very detailed instruction on how to pickup the correct driver.

I have installed this on Win2003 and WinXP SP2 and it works fine on both PCs.

Make sure that you have at least one of the COM ports between 1 to 4 free. The PC modem takes up one. Other USB drivers like camcorder, cameras or USB-Serial connectors, etc also hogs up one of the COM port. Reassign the existing devices to some other COM port so that you have one of the COM port between 1 to 4 as freely available.

You install mPT. No need to run mPT right now. Switch on the phone. Connect the USB cable to the phone end. Connect the other end to the PC's USB port. Go to Device Manager and under Modem you should see 'Motorola USB Modem'. If you don't see this then the USB driver has not been installed correctly. Go to Add Hardware, don't allow Windows to do anything. In all screens select the option of where you want to do everything manually. Finally it will come to a screen where it will ask for the driver. Point the driver directory to the driver or inf directory under your mPT installation directory. There should be a file by the name of USBMOT2000.INF or something of that sort. Ask Windows to pick up the driver from this inf file and after some time, your Device Manager should show the 'Motorola USB Modem'. Make sure that this Modem is using a COM port that was free.

Now start mPT and it should recognize your phone. If it still does not recognize, then open the mPT application and under Setup -- General Setup or something of that kind (I don't have the software on my work PC so I cannot exactly say the menu options), select the Communication tab. There should be a button for select modem (or something of that sort). Click on that button and select the 'Motorola USB Modem'. Click OK and come out of the screen. Close mPT and restart mPT and see whether it helps.

If nothing helps, remove the USB cable from PC end, remove cable from phone end, switch off the phone, restart computer, start mPT, switch on phone, connect cable to phone end, connect cable to PC end. Hopefully this should work. Make sure that the Device Manager has 'Motorola USB Modem' listed, if this is not listed then mPT is not going to find your phone.

4. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Just to reemphasize this point, your phone HAS to be connected in order for Motorola USB Modem to be listed under Modems in Device Manager.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  5. nibyak

nibyak Member

I problem I had was that it just said initializing forever. I'm using Win2K Pro The way I fixed it (by accident) was to start MPT. Then I right clicked the little phone icon in the tray. I selected setup - general setup. I clicked on the communication tab. Then I clicked on the change modem button. It ran a modem test and came up with a "next" button. I clicked next and then selected "Motorola GSM" from the list on the left. Then I selected Motorola - V220 on the right. Then I clicked finish and everything started working. Even though I'm never going to use the phone as a modem it seemed to kick start the interface.

6. jevfro

jevfro Member

that fixed my problem... Thanks Nibyak!!!