1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD burning

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lnsmman, Mar 1, 2003.

1. lnsmman

lnsmman Guest

I am having problems burning a multiple cd VCD. I think I need to make the .mpg into chapters or something. so it can be split up into 2 cd's don't I?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Use vcdeasy as burning software.

3. Blatz

Blatz Member

if you download TMPGenc it will let you encode the mpeg to vcd quality as well as letting you cut up the video into smaller chunks. run once with the first half selected and select the batch encode at the end of the wizard, then run again with second half of movie but select start encoding immidiately this time the two files will both be created now it may take some time to convert but that is normal, it all depends on the speed of your computer

4. Blatz

Blatz Member

i would recomend using nero burning rom v5.5 or greater to burn the encoded files

5. Quest2k03

Quest2k03 Guest

I am having trouble with Nero Burn. For the longest time I used it and then I had to download a new version. For some reason when it burns VCDs it makes them Audio CDs and my VCD player can not read them. Any thoughts?

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I no longer make VCDs because the picture quality is too mediocre, but when I did I used VCDeasy to burn with because it required little effort on my part and it automatically sized the files. I now make direct DVD backups. For burning I use Nero, cdrwin5, and copytodvd but if I were to make a VCD I would still consider VCDeasy.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I no longer make VCDs because the picture quality is too mediocre, but when I did I used VCDeasy to burn with because it required little effort on my part and it automatically sized the files. I now make direct DVD backups. For burning I use Nero, cdrwin5, and copytodvd but if I were to make a VCD I would still consider VCDeasy.

8. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

Hey,
    I was going to make a VCD in Nero 5.5.9.14 with an .avi movie file, but it was 50MB over what cd-r's can hold and I was wondering if there is a way to make it a little less quality to fit on the cd-r, make the picture smaller, or better yet, put it on two cd-r's.
    If anyone can help, that would be great! :)

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If your CDR can overburn then you can get quiet a bit more on them. I have recorded up to 846 megs on a single CDR99, which is more than enough to burn any single VCD or DiVx movie. You can check your CDR to see if it can overburn and how much on feurio's website. I think that VCDeasy can also break your file up to fit on standard CDRs, you can get it here (http://www.vcdeasy.org/)You can buy CDR99 here. http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/P-DVD+R-4.7-Ri100free.html

10. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

My cousin says there is a site that tells how much each brand of cd-r's can overburn. If there is one, can someone post it for me?

Thanks

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

This is as good as any data base gets on the web, names brands and how much they can overburn by. If your isn't there then you will have to test it with a disc or three.
    http://www.feurio.com/English/index.shtml

12. DBCooper

DBCooper Guest

Speaking of VCDEasy, is there a reason that an avi file that is reported to be at 23.97 fps by VDub and is converted to MPEG-2 using NTSC Film template with tmpge shows up as being 29.97 in the VCDEasy window???

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's a quirk of avi, just check any guide and what you read below will be stated for any other frontend encoders. I now make few avi's (Divx), svcd,or vcds, I now copy DVD to DVD.

All North American movies are NTSC so they're 29.97 fps. BUT, because of the way they're encoded to DVD, FlasK and other encoders will choose 23.976 fps. This is usually correct, so don't change it. As usual, test a short clip before you do a whole movie to make sure its ok.

AUDIO TAB

14. CHIPS68

CHIPS68 Member

OK GUYS & GIRLS THIS EASY AS 123. PLAY THE DVD USING YOUR DVD SOFTWARE FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES. THEN USE SMART RIPPER TO COPY THE VOB FILES TO YOUR HARD DRIVE JUST BROWSE TO FIND WHERE YOU WANT TO SAVE THEM(MAKE FOLDER IE. DVD-RIPS) USING THE TARGET BOX. PRESS START AND YOUR OFF. AFTER ABOUT 10 MINUTES IT WILL BE DONE. SHUTDOWN SMARTRIPPER THEN USE DVDx TO ENCODE. IT IS EASY TO NAVIGATE AND QUALITY ISNT BAD. IT SPLITS THE FILES FOR YOU AS WELL NO MATTER HOW BIG THE MOVIE IS. LOTS OF SETTINGS FOR QUALITY AND SOUND. THESE ARE BOTH FREEWARE SO DOWNLOAD THEM TODAY AND ENJOY. NEED ANY HELP, NO WORRIES.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes DVDx will split the files, but I recommend DVD Decrypter for ripping, it has a broader compatibility than does smart ripper and I still recommend vcdeasy for burning it is simpler. I have never had to play a movie before ripping it but if that becomes necessary a few seconds is adequate not minutes. Lastly! Do away with the Caps allready or check your caps lock and see if it's stuck.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  16. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

would anyone have any idea how much maxell 700MB 1x-16x can overburn and which is the best brand of cds to buy?
    thanx

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've recorded a little over 702 megs on Maxell CD-R 80. If you want to do serious overburning you are going to have to purchase the media that supports it. CDR99 can burn up to 99 minutes and 59 seconds versus the 80 minutes with CDR80 with the right burner which comes to about 850 megs on a single CD.

18. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

On Nero, in the expert features under file-preferences, where you can check the box to overburn, underneath it says overburning could damage your cd burner and to do it at your own risk. Should I worry much about this? I just got a new burner and don't want to hurt my new toy :)
    Also, I was thinking of ordering some 99min cd's from the site sophocles provided, but in the list of compatible drives, mine wasn't on the list. It is a Samsung SW-248B 48x24x48x. I checked some other sites, they didn't have that model of Samsung either, but the other Samsung models I have seen have only a max. capacity of 89:59. Would that mean I should just get 90min cd's or would this new Samsung model of mine most likely have a max. capacity of 99:59
    One more quick thing...Does allmediaoutlet.com ship to Canada and would you know how much money?

Thanks

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It is said to be possible that a CDburner can be damaged by overburning, but I have yet to meet or communicate with anyone that has had it happen. Your burner can overburn, it is listed as having that capability on the Feurio web site, but it may be limited to about 90 minutes which is still about 800 megs. Many of us who are in to overburning use Lite-on CD burners (my 52X cost $68 at Sam's Club, yes I know that it can be purchased on the web for $59)because they are inexpensive,fast, and will overburn to 99 minutes and 59 seconds. To learn more about your burner and overburning you might want to go to club cdfreaks @ http://forum.cdfreaks.com/index.php?s= and find those who have the same burner as you and get their individual experiences on overburning with various media.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  20. mstrchief

mstrchief Member

I know this doesn't have anything to do with VCD's, but does allmediaoutlet.com ship to Canada and how much would it cost?

Thanks