1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD onto a DVD-r 4.7gb, but keeping it as a VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Zerocool, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Zerocool

Zerocool Member

Hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to make a Video CD on a DVD-R 4.7gb cd? if so can someone tell me how? as Nero wont record to the media unless i tell it to burn as a DVD but converting the episodes to mpeg2 increases the files size to at least 3gb, as a result i can only fit one ep on a DVD, where as if i was to burn it as a VCD the file size is 400mb, and the quality is extremly good!!

2. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Hi. I have lost many a night's sleep trying to figure this one out. I am still nowhere near to solving the problem. If anyone ever *does* figure out a way to do this, I suggest the solution be *immediately* added to the a/D article, 'How To Put VCDs on DVD'. In fairness to the article though, it doesn't attempt to create a massively-large VCD on DVD disc.

There are two problems as I see it. One -- standalone dvd players will only recognize a vcd IF that vcd is burned to a CD blank. (And it has to meet the vcd specs too!). Trying to author a vcd to dvd purely in vcd mode, (aside from being impossible) wouldn't work in a standalone player, because (and this is problem Two -- when the dvd player 'sees' that you have inserted DVD media, it expects to play back *only* dvd-video! Anything recorded on a DVD *must* be industry-standard vobs, or the player will reject the disc!

That goes for MP3 data-discs recorded on dvds as well.

When you first insert a disc, the player checks to see what type of media it is dealing with. If it detects CD-media, it will switch into a software mode that *only* plays back cd-type formats. (Whatever the player manufacturer wishes to support - vcd; svcd; mp3-data; red-book music cds; et.al.) If it detects DVD-media, it wants Vobs and nothing *but* vobs.

And there's Problem Three, too -- I don't know of any burning software that will author *any* dvd media as a standard vcd. (With the necessary <MPEGAV> and <VCD> folders.) You will just get an error message telling you to insert the correct media type. (CD).

It's a friggen washout, Zerocool. I can think of a LOT of standard CD-type stuff I'd like to put on a dvd because of the dvd's *huge* increase in capacity, but the present DVD standard(s) just don't allow it.

I hope someone can and WILL prove me wrong! Trust me, I DO want to be wrong about this!!!!

(Sure would be nice to put 1000+ mp3s on single dvd blanks, or, say, 4 or 5 complete vcd-resolution movies, *AND* have the dumb dvd-standalone player recognize them!!!)

All of the above is most certainly possible if the hardware manufacturers (and burner-software makers) wanted to get off their ass## and do something about it.

-- Klingy --

3. xsquaredx

xsquaredx Guest

I found a site that addresses this DVD-VCD question. Havent tried it yet. but I thought I would go ahead and share what i found, then only issue is that you have to convert the sound bit rate and only some dvd players will read it, but it gives a list of the compatible dvd players.
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd.htm

4. xsquaredx

xsquaredx Guest

5. AIDEN

AIDEN Guest

very simple guys,
    what you need is roxio videopack 5
    you encode the film in the normal manner using tmpg, then drag it into videopack creating a dvd, you can probably get 3 films on 1 disk dependent on file size

aidenmichael711111@msn.com

6. xsquaredx

xsquaredx Guest

Just checked it out, from what it describes, that's what we want. I Have over 12 GB in music videos and I want to be able to VCD them onto a DVD so that I can watch all my videos on 3 DVDS cause I have a 3 Disc DVD changer. Hopefully this will work. But what I remember from the orginal video authoring software it sucked and only took avi files. This would really suck to convert over 12bg worth of mpg files. plus avi quality goes down unless you doubles its file size.

7. S10Surfer

S10Surfer Member

A program called My-DVD will do it. you can put any MPEG file into the program and it will write all the files need to put it on a dvd. all you do is add the mpeg files to the project hit write dvd and it does all of it. I have one dvd with 45 music video Video-CD files. and it works on all of my dvd players.

8. gkrshnn

gkrshnn Member

Where do I find this My-DVD? Thanks.