1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD or KVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by shimq1, Oct 30, 2004.

1. shimq1

shimq1 Member

I have a DVD player that is not capable of playing SVCDs but is capable of playing KVCDs. Is it a better choice for me to use KVCDs over VCDs?

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

SVCD's and VCD's are a little different but basically the same. The majority of DVD players support VCD and a minority support SVCD. KVCD is just a compressed VCD. The main difference is the length of video you can get on a single cd. Quality loss over all is minor.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If you read the 'poll' on http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/126073, you'll see that KVCD quality loss has been judged little with respect to the gain of room in a CD. You could try using high-quality templates (like KVCDx3 MPEG-1, 17.88 MB/min) that should work on your player, being MPEG-1 movies, and see if its quality satisfies you.
    The liks to the templates and most of the infos on the KVCD formet are located in the 'sticky' KVCD thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/124272.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  4. Leviathon

Leviathon Guest

aldaco12, Thank you for the link you provided for information on converting to KVCD. This contained precisely the information I was searching for on making a viable KVCD. This was particularly nice for me as a vast majority of the guides I found on kvcd were very long, not to the point, and involved a recommendation of 4 or 5 different programs to get the end result. Thank you again, I was able to achieve the result I was looking for using only TMPGenc Plus and a burning software of my choice.

5. fox0035

fox0035 Member

is vcd playable on any standalone dvd player? Also i have a kvcd i burned it to a dvd-r it loads and plays but the screen keeeps jumping like when you get a bad single any help would be usefull. Thanks

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

My KVCDs burned on trivial CD-Rs work perfectly. Why a DVD-R? Do you want to store 6 movies (1 movie = 120' movie = 700 MB) on a DVD? Mor than that, that most of the KVCD are for mpeg-1 files, NOT mpeg-2. They won't work for DVD-R!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

heck, why don't you make it custom to your taste.
    it does play kvcd, so a little more tweak won't hurt. but do try first.
    and try to differentiate the settings between vcd and kvcd