1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD playback on Philips DVD player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by E-jector, Jul 24, 2003.

1. E-jector

E-jector Member

I have a Philips VCD-certified DVD-player and when i burn a vcd (correctly made with nero and converted with tmpgenc using the guides on this site) it just skips frames and sometimes freezes for a few seconds, its very annoying and i can't seem to fix it... I burn at 8 speed (its the slowest my writer can) is that a problem?

the dvd-player is fairly new and plays dvd's very well, never had a problem with it.

can you help me plz?
    grtz 'n thnx

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Hey what type of cd-rmedia r u using?

3. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

I have a phillips player (740) that plays both vcd and svcd. when it comes to playing the svcd's, it plays them great, but the vcd's will skip and freeze after a couple of minutes. Once in a great while it will play them fine. I would go to dvdrhelp.com and see what they say about your particular dvd player. If it's anything like my player, it is not that you are burning wrong, it's more likely your dvd player.

4. Dela

or it could be the media too, the dvd player might notbe able to read it properly!

5. E-jector

E-jector Member

I Use regular CD-r's that i always use for burning CD's. The brand is PLATINUM

thx

6. Dela

7. E-jector

E-jector Member

allready did, but unfortunatly it sais that it can play VCDs perfectly! There is also a lot said about updating firmware. Could that be a possible solution?

thx guys

8. Dela

Ah i'd kinda doubt it, it should be able to play them back perfectly anyway!

9. E-jector

E-jector Member

I'll try another brand of CD-Rs maybe that'll help

i'll say if it helps :)

thx for the help mates

10. Dela

Alright no probs man and good luck!

11. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

I have the same problem with playing copied svcd's and vcd's on my philips dvd player. As far as I can tell it's a problem just with philips players trying to read discs that aren't philips compliant. I think vcdgear has a option to check for compiling philips compliant discs. I personally got around the problem by reburning the nero-burned discs in stomp recordnow max, and they played all smooth and pretty. I have used sony,tdk and lg discs and they all worked fine after reburning. My player is a philips dvd-726k. I would just stay away from nero if you want to play your discs on a philips player and stick to stomp.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2003
  12. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

I was thinking about your problem, and I remembered I did some on the fly copying with nero & those svcds played fine. So for phillips dvd players its probably the program that you are using to compile the svcd, to save reburning, try vcdgear with its phillips compliant option. Otherwise if those movies are off your hard drive go back to the reburning trick with stomp, I haven't had one problem yet. Overall I think phillips dvd players are just a pain in the neck sometimes, so if you find something else that works, let me know. Thanks

13. Dela