1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD playback problems

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by nivag, Nov 15, 2001.

1. nivag

nivag Guest

Please help... I am using Ulead to convert Avi to Mpeg1 for CD. Then I use NTI 2000 to create VCD to use in my DVD standalone (philips). Here is my nightmare! All I get in the player is jerky blocky nasty playback :( its getting me down... i have tried different disc's cdr cdrw but its not working!!!
    Please any help... please....

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Your video stream is very likely corrupted, get rid of those tools that you mentioned and use TMPGEnc for VideoCD-compliant MPEG-1 encoding and Nero for CD burning.

3. nivag

nivag Guest

Thankyou for replying :) my source is a sony digital camcorder, through a firewire. Can you suggest another program to capture with?

again thanks :)

4. MikeG

MikeG Guest

I'm having problems as well. I use Tempgen to record in mpeg-1 and Easy CD 5 Platinum to burn. They play fine on my computer's dvd but jerky on my 2 JVCs after a while. I think it may be because I have much more ram in the computer. Any ideas out there?

5. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

hi all you might want to try burning at a slower speed this worked for me. I had the same problems with my stand alone dvd. I don't know what it was but i tried burning at 4 times instead of 12 and it seems to work.

6. ryanframe

ryanframe Member

What about when the video comes out upside down and i have burned at slowest speed??????????????????????????????????????????

7. MikeG

MikeG Guest

Burning at a slower speed did not seem to work for the stand alone

I have sent our problem to the Digital Goddess Kim Komando for whatever that might be worth

I have also solved the problem for myself.
    I purchased the Ultimate Wireless Video Converter by Grand Tec (via compusa - saved $40+ as an internet purchase over the store price).
    Now I play the VCDs on the computer and transmit the signal to my Widescreen TV 2 rooms away with great results. The picture is transmitted in VCR quality as oppossed to DVD quality but what the - IT WORKS!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2002
  8. Ninja20

Ninja20 Member

Hi

You guys are really great, helping others to use the software

I am having the exact same problem as the person who started the topic - please help me, because this is what i get:

1 - I convert the avi to mpeg using tmpg software - and it works fine when playing on my computer before burning to CD

2 - I used Nero Tech software to make VCD - it came out smudgy with speaker distortion in sound as though the speaker was about to burst, I also tried Ulead Video Studio 6, and the same thing happened - both with CDR and CDRW discs.

PLEASE TELL ME...if I am burning at 8x speed which is 1200 kbp/s, is that the reason for the VCD having playback problems?

What if I burn it using the slowest speed?

Please help me

Last edited: Aug 8, 2002
  9. kinsey

kinsey Guest

I've burned tons of vcd's using Ulead media studio and Nero to burn. I use an Apex DVD player and have no problems, however, one friend cant play my discs, another can. Different DVD players seem to have different ability to read VCD format. Does your phillips unit specify that it can read VCD? I know you can encode VCD with PAL or NTSC standard - any chance you are using the wrong std?

10. nivag

nivag Guest

I have finally cracked it!!!!!! :)

the key, who knows? but i can now play VCD on my philips DVD player....
    NTI software has now been deleted..
    welcome ULEAD 6. no problem.
    I can now burn VCD easy :)yipee!!!!

i use PC LINE discs from PC world, i burn at 2x
    not only that but Nero 5 is working to!!!
    it seems that different discs affect the quality of picture but hey, it works!!!!
    i let the program do all the hard work with templates and just drag n drop!
    Guys why it works i dont know!
    but maybe its something to do with the software i was using. but work it does.
    it has taken me nearly a year!!!!
    Thanks, i hope this will give you an indication how to get it to work, even if i have not a clue HOW!

11. steveman4

steveman4 Member

I have a similar problem: I create my VCD’s using TMPeng and NERO 5.5 to burn. I burn at 1x speed. The VCD plays perfectly on my computer using WIN-DVD software viewer. But when I play them on my Phillips DVD standalone player, it gets out of sync (sound and video) about every 10 minutes. Sometimes it’s out of sync only for a few seconds and sometimes longer. I use to have an APEX DVD player (Cheap player), but that one was out of sync even more than my new Phillips player. Do I need to trade this Phillips player that costs $139 for a better one?

12. TheFlyer

TheFlyer Guest

Don´t you people read the forum rules??????
    Many new questions in the same thread.
    I don´t bother to answer att all on this types og threads.
    Hope you others do the same thing until some peoples here understand to ask their new question in a new thread.

Peter