1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vcd sound probs...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by tre_vcd, Jan 3, 2004.

1. tre_vcd

tre_vcd Member

Hey, ok heres the prob:

i used the svcd-vcd header guide on this site, and it works fine, the problem is the finished burned result.

the audio is out of sync with the video, and no matter how slow the burn speed i use, it is still out from between 1 to 3 seconds.

playing the mpeg on my PC (866mhz/p3) also seems to be out of sync (and jerky video), but im pretty sure thats to do with my pc not being able to handle mpg's too well.

any ideas as to why the burn is delayed? picture is amazing, and so is audio, its just all delayed ;(

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

If the Guide told you to Change the Header By Running the File Through the "Simple Multiplex" in tmpgenc to add the VCD Header then don"t...Try useing the "Merge & Cut" ,Just Load the original SVCD File into the "Merge & Cut" and choose "Video CD NON-Standard" from the Drop down Menu, then choose your Output File name and destination and click "Run" and in the Few Minutes you will have a SVCD File with a VCD Header..Now Play this File on your PC and see if it Plays in Sync Before Burning it which is what you should have done before burning anyways so you don"t waste a CD-R....I find this method works better than useing the "Multiplex"...If it is in Sync on your PC but out of Sync on your DVD Player then it could be because your DVD Player can not handle the SVCD Bitrate....Good luck

3. tre_vcd

tre_vcd Member

well, my compiuter has real difficulty playing high quality mpeg files smoothly, so its almost impossible for me to test (even if i increase memory/processor allocation to the software playing the mpeg). this means i have to burn without testing, cause i cant test!. I think your right about the fact my dvd cant handle the high rate of SVCD bitrates, so, its probably that, althugh i will try another high quality SVCD conversion and find out for sure. thanks.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Maybe you should Think about Upgradeing your PC??
    You can upgrade your PC for really Damn Cheap these days ,I just Picked up a Couple 2.5ghz Intel Proscessors and ECS Motherboard Combo"s for $115 each, I also Picked up a couple Athlon XP 2200+ Proscessors and Motherboard Combo"s for $99 each and you can Probably sell you current Motherboard and Proscessor for say $50 which means you will have a 2.5GHZ PC upgrade for $65 and at that speed you wouldn"t need to Upgrade For a Really long time and you wouldn"t have to worry about the Limitations of haveing a Slow PC as at 2.5ghz you can do anything ,These Proscessors can easilly be Overclocked to 3.0ghz as long as you have a Good heatsink and Fan which means your PC would be allmost as Fast as they Come..If you want I can hook you up with My Wholesaler who can give you probably the same Deal..well anyways It was Just a Thought...Cheers

5. tre_vcd

tre_vcd Member

sounds like a good deal, but im in the UK ;(.

i can now play the VCD file's video smoothly on my PC (same applies to the original SVCD file), but it seems the video is playing much faster than the sound file.

Both the video and audio are clear, but the video is definatly slightly speeded up (perhaps the video is running at 29 FPS whilst sound is in sync with a 24 FPS video file?).

I'm guessing that this is a problem with the SVCD / VCD file, and not my DVD player or computer, as i have had successful burns with lesser quality SVCD to VCD conversions in the past, and playing mpegs before have always worked fine.

I will have to try a different SVCD file and see.