1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD/SVCD with subtitles and multiple audio tracks

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by jochem, Feb 2, 2002.

1. jochem

jochem Guest

Hello,

Does VCD/SVCD support subtitles and multiple audio tracks ?
    If yes, what tool(s) should be used to do a VCD/SVCD from a ripped DVD ?
    Thanx

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

VCD doesn't support multiple audio tracks nor "real" subtitles (switchable on/off -- only way to add subs to VCD is to encode it with the picture permanently)

SVCD supports multiple audio tracks and real subtitles (although appx. 50% of players who play SVCDs don't play SVCD subs even that they should). Best/easiest tool for creating SVCDs from DVDs with all the nice features is DVD2SVCD package that can be found from our software section -- one nag: it requires CCE MPEG-2 encoder which is commercial program.

3. jochem

jochem Guest

thanx,

For VCD, what tool do you suggest to permanently incrust subs ?
    For SVCD is there any other solution with free software.
    Thanx again

4. dRD

There are multiple ways to add permanent subs to VCDs, I use pretty complex method:

-rip
    -DVD2AVI project saving
    -VFAPIConvert the d2v file to pseudo-AVI
    -use VirtualDub and VobSub filter to add the subs
    -save it as VDub's frameserver pseudo-AVI
    -open the frameserver file with TMPGEnc, use the VCD presets and encode it to MPEG-1

...for SVCD there are really not other good options available -- specially the subtitles are extremely problematic, because as far as I know, DVD2SVCD has the only muxer (program that combines data streams like video, audio and subtitles to one file) that allows subtitles. If you want to have some alternative option, the method described for VCD works ok for SVCD as well, but it really creates permanent subs, not SVCD subs.

5. jochem

jochem Guest

thanx for your help

6. jochem

jochem Guest

Hello I tried DVD2SVCD (v1.0.6 build 1, I'm currently downloading the new build 3)with CCE Lite 2.50 with a movie clip (Gladiator trailer, 1mn24s long)
    The CCE process is very slow: approximatively 1 hour ! but the result is quite perfect.
    Is this process time "normal" with my P3 500Mhz but only 64MB RAM ?
    Unfortunately the CCE logo is incrusted in the image.
    Another problem is multimplexing mpv and mp2 (to produce the mpg file) using BBmpeg that produce NOTHING! I guess the setting in ini file are not correct because I do manually the process and it works.
    Do you know a bug about BBmpeg initialisation by DVD2SVCD?

Thanx again.

could you email me at jochem@ifrance.com, I'have a "personnal" question

7. dRD

Download the latest build, DVD2SVCD gets updated almost weekly :)

And yeah, CCE takes forever -- specially if you use multipass encoding, encoding 2 hour movie takes 20h+ with P3/500 when you use 5-pass SVCD encoding, but the quality is... :)

8. jochem

jochem Guest

I downloaded build 3 (last version), I selected 1Pass VBR and I have to wait 1h for 1,5 mn clip, so for a 2 hours movie, I'll have to wait 80 hours !!!: it's not possible ....
    do I need extra memory ?

sorry in my previous post I mean "Cinema Craft Encoder SP v2.50.01.00 (with logo)" and no Lite version

9. dRD

Yeah, that sounds normal -- CCE is extremely slow, but its quality is unbeatable. And yeah, extra memory helps.

10. jochem

jochem Guest

thanx again,
    but I'm going to renounce to this solution because if 10 hours (a night) is acceptable, 80 hours is not acceptable.
    maybe no enougth memory maybe my CCE version (SP2.50 trial with logo, no way to find a true version to try - google,..., access forbiden at http://www.petautschnig.at/universe/files.php, ..).
    I'll use TMPGenc without subtiltles.
    Bye
    mailto:jochem@ifrance.com

11. Mayes

Mayes Member

As insisted somewhere in the forum before. I tried every solution for making VCD with subtitles and the best solution I came with is to capture it with DVD2MPG, it´s slow (aprox. 12 hours for a 120 min. movie) but has the best picture quality I´ve seen and includes the subtitle you want. I normally encode it at nights when not using my pc (from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. next mornig) and then encode it with Xing Encoder. Works great for me, done more than 200 by now. Good luck